Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

When Rob and I made our annual families' outing to the nearby Polishtown Fair in late August, my very own wandered off and took a subscription to the New York Daily News, a rag with which I wouldn't line my parrot cage… if I had a parrot! (She rationalized that it would be worth it for the cents off shopping coupons in the Sunday edition.)

Over the past three days they've done a major hatchet job on semi-automatics, high cap "clips" (O, the horror!) and firearms in general.

It required immediate, if perhaps ineffectual, remedial action.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Boy, that was just as bad as the stories claiming that the .500 S&W was "the gun of choice" of drug dealers and other evil forces.

Ed

·
Registered
46 Posts
I often wonder how these people can sleep at night with the lies and propaganda they publish. But then again, ignorance is bliss and most readers take this hyperbole as fact.

Pretty scary....

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
I wish I had a dollar for every schmuck that has called me asking to buy a "machine gun" or Uzi, M16 etc...now that the ban has expired. My answer varies depending upon who they are (good customer or not).

Usually I remind them that thanks to GHW Bush/41 and his Executive Order of 1989 that UZI's and other fully auto weapons of foreign manufacture are no longer allowed to be imported and that I am not a Class III dealer!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I was talking a member of our local law enforcement yesterday and we discussed the matter of the AWB and the effect on the violent crime in the area. He said, "well, there's no blood flowing in the streets yet."

·
Registered
430 Posts
:roll: Very good, Dean. When I lived and worked in New York I used to think the Daily News was pretty good for the comics. The old New York Journal American or the Sun was good for the news.

What can we do about this sort of nonsense except write letters to the editor trying to point out their gross errors of fact.

So far our local papers here in PA haven't said too much one way or the other. The Inquirer is another story. :evil:

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Bob… we were a Herald-Tribune household in the morning, and in the afternoon it was the World, Telegram & Sun. The only thing appealing about the Daily News was that they had Dick Tracy, and that was a must for me!

Ed said:
Boy, that was just as bad as the stories claiming that the .500 S&W was "the gun of choice" of drug dealers and other evil forces.
O, yeah… news hacks love to create that sort of crap!

I may have told this before, but about a decade ago New York Magazine (as opposed to The New Yorker) did a feature of the new "the gun of choice of drug dealers," being the .50 AE Desert Eagle with all sorts of crap quotes from high level pants-wetters (or in the collective coinage of the Lodge 1201 Brethren, "enuresis ignavus") about the danger to by-standers from this "extraordinarily powerful weapon." I was going to author an outraged latter, but I got laughing so hard at the mental image of some melon-headed corner dealer on a steam August day, shirtless and wearing just a pair of knee-length baggy pantalones, having to clutch at his waist to keep his outer garment from falling to the sidewalk under the weight of the DE, that I let it go.
Mike said:
Usually I remind them that thanks to GHW Bush/41 and his Executive Order of 1989 that UZI's and other fully auto weapons of foreign manufacture are no longer allowed to be imported….
Wrong year or wrong ordnance.

My Letter to the Daily News Editor didn't make it today, and I doubt if it will in the future. They did, however, run a short editorial which I cannot find on-line, but the gist of which was that gun-owners are probably gearing up not to make hamburger meat out of Bambi with their high-power, high-capacity assault weapons.

There've been lots of upper echelon changes at the tabloid of late, and this usually portends financial problems. Just last Friday, CEO and co-publisher Fred Drasner left the paper because of "time constraints" (this invariably signals something else!)

Drasner and co-publisher Mort Zuckerman also jointly owned U.S. News & World Report.

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
Dean said:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Mike:
Usually I remind them that thanks to GHW Bush/41 and his Executive Order of 1989 that UZI's and other fully auto weapons of foreign manufacture are no longer allowed to be imported….
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wrong year or wrong ordnance.
Right year. March '89, but the EO has "vanished" but no biggy. The damned thing was enacted into federal law by our ever vigilant congresscritters.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Sam,

Thanks --- I did nto think my mind had gone that far since having kids (lack of sleep does do funny things to the mind!)

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
March 1989 Executive Order, converted into legislation in July of that year, I believe, addressed the importation of semi-autos.

19 May 1986 was the Hughes Amendment to McClure-Volkmer (FOPA'86) which, by a voice vote, "froze" the Class 3 registry of fully-automatic firearms transferrable to non-MOS.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's today's unsigned Editorial…
[URL=http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ideas_opinions/story/236291p-202906c.html said:
Daily News[/URL]]
[URL=http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ideas_opinions/story/236291p-202906c.html said:
Demand & supply

Well, that didn't take long, did it? The 10-year-old federal assault weapons ban expired just two weeks ago, and already there is a waiting list for AR-15 rifles, high-capacity magazines and other accouterments of death. Guess all those hunters can't wait to turn Bambi's head into shredded meat.

These are all hunters buying the guns, aren't they? Couldn't be any criminals or terrorists waiting in those lines at the stores down South, huh? You can bet your Tec-9 that gunrunning will soon increase, because no matter what the NRA argues, there is only one use for assault weapons: killing human beings.
I couldn't find it on-line, but Rob did.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I'd rather be staring down a hooligan with a high capacity Glock (held homeboy style) then a steely-eyed hunter with a single-shot.

Ed

·
Registered
455 Posts
Couldn't be any criminals or terrorists waiting in those lines at the stores down South, huh?
Down South? He needs to decide on one slur and stick to it. Are the people buying the guns criminals, terrorists, or ********? ******* criminal terrorists? That is so '90s.

·
Registered
224 Posts
OK, THAT does it...

I have a Romanian SAR-1 (AK clone) that I bought last year, just for the heck of it, and to piss off any liberal who might be within annoying distance. I have tweaked the crown, sights and trigger to where it produces 2 MOA, so long as you don't get it too hot. It likes Wolf 154 grain softpoints, and it now resides in a Choate stock that actually allows one to acquire the sights w/o bending your neck into a pretzel. I have a 10 round mag that would be "hunting legal" here in MO...

Stupidity like this, and Kerryhole's statement that "nobody hunts deer with an AK-47" make me want to do it just for spite. I hunt almost exclusively with my revolvers these days, but I just may have to make an exception this year.

MBR/EBR hunting club?

PS- Ah R not a *******, nor do I play one on TV. Do dat DQ me?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts