Gunhub.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the page on shipping information dealing with firearms....
http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html

I also see it quoted the BATF's "fact" sheet, which I believe is an incomplete (at best) interpretation of the law. This part is wrong (or at least incomplete):

"Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm..."

if you look up the laws the "fact" sheet is sighting to be it's source you will see this:

"It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;"

pay close attention to the "other than". This means that if I am shipping back to the factory (for one) that I am not required by law to tell them. If I am shipping to someone not in the "other than" list, I have to give them WRITTEN notice.

Just thought you might want to clear this up for the readers of you informative pages. More in-depth explanation can be found on one of my pages:
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/shipping.htm

in short, if sending a hand gun to the factory for service, I don't legaly HAVE to tell the carrier it is a gun, and I don't legaly HAVE to send it over night. (still can't send it through USPS though without an FFL)

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
855 Posts
"Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm..."

This quote does not say "written," it just says notice. I don't have the time right now to pull up the regs, but my recollection is that one must declare to the carrier that one is shipping a firearm, even if to a licensee. The requirement of written notice is additional when sending to non-licensees.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my point is that quote:

is from the "Facts sheet" not the law. The law says that you do have to give notice to the shipper when you are NOT sending it to someone in a list which includes the manufacturer.

please do let me know if you find some LAW that says different, I have not seen one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh and also while looking at the LAW (not the incomplete "fact" sheet) I don't see any part that refferences any notice other than a Written Notice.... (that is, in any of the laws that the "fact" sheet sites as being it source of information)

PITA when we can't even take the BATF at their word.... Not sure if this was intentionally misleading, or an oversimplification, but wrong none the less....

again anyone with a LAW that says otherwise point me to it and I'll be eating a lot of crow :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
yzguy is correct in that notification is not required unless you are shipping to a nonlicensee. I have two letters from BATF Hq agreeing with this and admitting that the answer to their FAQ is not completely correct.

That being said, if you violate a shipper's policy to inform them of the true contents of a package, you may have trouble persuing any claims for that shipment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey EOD Guy,
would you mind sending me a copy of that letter? (question and answer)? Text, image, or what ever. So I can add it to my page.

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts