Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many year ago, when I moved to Colorado and began big game hunting, I was given a customized Remington 03-A3 30-06 rifle. The rifle had been owned by a bachelor uncle in Iowa, fox was the largest game there at the time, who got it as a special deal for joining NRA. He thought he had a piece of junk when he unpacked it but when he took it to a gunsmith for sporterizing the gunsmith asked him how he could be so lucky. He said it was the best 03-A3 he had ever seen. Uncle took the gunsmith to heart, selected a walnut Monte Carlo stock and directed him to convert the rifle into a top grade hunting/target rifle. My uncle enjoyed custom loading and came up with his special load with 110 grain bullets pushed out as fast as he could. He had his target set in a pasture at 100 yds and would kneel behind a wooden rail fence supporting the forend in his hand on the center fence rail. From this position, with target peep sights, he would put 5 rounds into a circle that could be covered with a 50 cent piece. After receiving the rifle I upgraded to a scope and 180 grain bullets and took several antelope, deer and elk with it but the gun never fit me properly.
So much for history. What I would like to do is upgrade to a composite, or some sort of plastic, stock that fits me and doesn't weigh as much as walnut.. But, it appears quality composite stocks for this old rifle are virtually non existent. Am I looking in the wrong places or will I need to go with a fully custom composite stock? Any advice will be considered and appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.