Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I saw my first "Bobtailed" 1911 (was that from Ed Brown?), I thought it was a great idea, but wondered why they didn't give the cut a graceful curve a la Colt 1903/P.38/Smith 39 instead of just chopping it off at an angle. The bobtails always look like someone just stuck the gun's butt in a big metal-cutting machine and hit the go button.

Apparently, someone at Kimber agrees with me. I see they now have something called the "Super Carry Pro" that makes that bob-job look like someone with some sense of style actually put a little thought into it.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/p ... carry_pro/

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Doggone... you're right

Had to dig mine out to see, but sitting beside a Brown job- yes he did it first- it is a very graceful curve

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Ed Brown's design was influenced in part by the need to completely remove the original mainspring housing pin hole from the frame of completed pistols. Kimber clearly figured out that as a manufacturer, you don't have to drill the original pin hole in a virgin frame if you are just going to turn around and cut it off.

I'm also kind of surprised that no one has latched onto the fact that Bill Laughridge created a semi-bobtail Officers ACP frame with his M2008 Pocket Model.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
While they look Way-cool and Kimbers' is the best of the bunch( Bet that aggravates the tar out of Ed) I really don't like the way they feel on the back of my shooting hand. They tend to move around on me. I much prefer a nice, sharply checkered Flat MSH.

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never handled one, but would love to try.

I'd shot flat MSH 1911s exclusively since 1972. When I built up my most recent 1911 (w/Ciener .22 conversion) in 2006 or 2007, I went with straight 1911A1 configuration (arched MSH and short trigger) and it took me over 2000 rounds fired (@ 100 per session), and many, many hours of handling it while watching TV, before it began to feel anything like "right" or "normal" to me. Now I can switch off between that gun and any of my other 1911s with no thought or conscious adjustment of any kind necessary, but as I said it took a while.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I tried that snake but, along with being Sinistral, I have another affliction. The trigger-fingers on both of my hands curve inward towards my other fingers. With any Arched MSH, I tend to pull down due to the way my finger is angled. By using a Flat MSH and a long trigger, it puts my hand lower on the grip and straightens out my pull. I even tried one of the Angled Flat MSHs, still in my parts-bin. Anything that pushes the bottom of my hand out changes the angle of my pull for the worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts