Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . . . such a difference in dates between the reciever and the barrel? It's a 3.2 mil receiver with a great 8-46 SA barrel. ME 1, TE 2.5. Nice park, matches on barrel and receiver. Chamber in the white. No evidence that the lower band was ever tampered with. Staked in place. Could they have made this one out of parts left over after the war? Would it have been rebuilt after having been in the field (if at all) for such a short time?

What do you think?

·
Registered
941 Posts
It was almost certainly rebuilt. A 3.88 MIGHT be possible with an original 46 barrel but a 3.2 would be almost impossible. Also, don't fool yourself about a 3.2 not seeing alot of use!! Late 44 early 45 things were still very much heated up. Iwo Jima comes to mind(2/45) Combat damage or long periods of not cleaning after shooting could cause a 3 month old barrel to be replaced. Sounds like a nice post war rebuild. TJR

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I guess anything is possible, but I suspect its a rebuild. Can they go thru a barrel that fast? Well, i have a 1944 WRA they rebuilt with a 47 SA barrel. You and I wouldn't tear one up that fast, but a GI fighting on Okinowa for a month probably shot it a lot and rarely cleaned it. I suspect in a Pacific island climate, you'd see the barrel eaten up pretty quick.
That's my guess

·
Registered
353 Posts
Combine combat conditions, lack of cleaning, maybe Pacific theater climates and corrosive ammo and you could easily ruin a barrel long before it was worn out. Post war rebuild.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just because the barrel was made in 46 doesn't mean it was put on the rifle in 46, it could have possibly been put on during rebuild anytime after 46.

The few 3.88 mils I've seen all had 45 barrels. My 3,880,0xx has a 7-45 bbl, A friends 3,881,7xx also has a 7-45.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
one nasty ding in the muzzle and a new barrel is needed. could happen anywhere, anytime

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yeah..just try and pry one combination lock off a wall locker....

not that I've ever seen a Marine do that! :roll:

Said he bent his barrel while doing "hit and roll" drills. Yeah right.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts