Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

1. I understand if you go to the CMP store you can pick your garand, is this true? Also (since I live 8 hours away), all you need is all the paperwork and you can just walk in, pick one, pay, and walk out?

2. I'm thinking about a SG, but is it really better than a RG?

3. The local range by me just closed so I can't get proof that I shot there, The only other item I have on that list is the firearms purchase id, is that enough?

All I'm looking fo is a good, reliable range gun. I would like one that looks decent, but I can always get a new stock if need be.

Thanks for helping out the new guy.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Onefast,
Yes a SG is better than a RG according to the CMP a rifle is sent to RG when the ME is > than 3 and from what I have seen the wood looks better.
I bet you can find a beaut at the North Store. If you are a vet use your DD-214, but I think an f.o.i.d or concealed carry shall suffice. Call CMP and ask, they are helpful from my experience. From what others say at the North Store they are helpful with selection, obviously one of those Stoneaxe gauges would be quite useful in making a choice. Myself I wish I could go there and pick out a nice SG in either SA or HRA with Birch wood, or wood with that red hue. If the RG is going to get you into a shooter with its 295.00 to 400.00 price tag, then going to the North Store will still net you a nice rifle, that you may not have to rebarrel right off, and wood that you wont want to burn. Post pics if you make the trip.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
The service grade rifle is guaranteed to have a shooter grade barrel. The rack grade rifles have barrels which do not meet service grade criteria. Still, rebarreling a garand is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
If you are knowledgeable about Garands you can often find a RG that slipped through with a decent barrel. However, if you are new to M1s, I'd be safe get a SG. Don't hesitate to ask the staff at the CMP store - they are VERY helpful and can help you pick exactly the right one you want.

Don't forget to take ALL the paperwork you'd normally send in. As I understand it, they do have a Notary on-site.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are some RG's that have good barrels, they may just have cracked wood. I guy I know stopped at the range with his "new Greek RG that he pick up at Perry that week, and it had great ME/TE numbers with just a cracked hand guard that he could replace out of his odds and ends parts. If you go to Perry it pays to take the time and pick through the rifles and find your "diamond in the rough". I would be less likely to get RG if I had to go with "Mail Order" and just take the first in line.

I'm working on a CCW and when I get it, I'm looking to go to Perry and pick out two.

As for the firing requirement, If you were friends with the range officer from the range that closed down, and you still keep intouch with him, there is a from on the CMP web site that a range officer can fill out for you that will satisfy the marksmanship training requirement.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I would do the SG for a first rifle, especially if you buy through the mail. From personal experience, if there is any problem with the rifle the CMP will 'make it right'. I am very impressed with their desire to satisfy.

You may purchase with confidence. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just purchased my first rifle from cmp. I went with a Service Grade. I think it was worth it all the metal is in great shape and the stock just needs refinished but i'l probably buy a new stock set. The rifle shoots great to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts