Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
The CTD web site shows two twenty rounder M14 magazines:

1) Catalog # 27466 also listed as MA5017. I believe MA5017 is the actual Springfield Armory, Inc. catalog number. The manufacturer is listed as "Springfield". Price is $44.66 each.

In 2006, Check-Mate Industries is manufacturing twenty round magazines for Springfield Armory, Inc. These are made to the same specification as the ones they make per their USGI contract. Reference: Joe DeBello, Project Manager, Check-Mate Industries.

2) Catalog # MAG350 - The manufacturer is listed as CTD. Price is $9.97.

Rock Island Arsenal issued a three year contract to Check-Mate Industries for a guaranteed minimum order of 25,000 M14 twenty round magazines. The unit price per magazine for this contract is $13.42. Based on that fact, I don't see how CTD could sell a twenty round M14 magazine made to USGI specification for less than $13.42 each. A possible answer is that the magazine, catalog number MAG350, is likely not made to USGI specifications. Reference: Rock Island Arsenal contract number W52H09-05-D-0308 dated September 19, 2005.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do not buy the ones from CTD. They are cheap copies and got jammed at every round. Look at the floor plate and you can tell the difference between CTD and the US GI ones. They have weak spring and the mag lips are not cut correctly. I bought four and could not use any.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
bdcochran said:
Are these usgi?
No.

bdcochran said:
Are they good.
Not in a firearms application, unless you like practicing clearance drills. They're great for that. They also make good paperweights but you have to make sure to wipe off any carbon or oil, as that tends to stain paper. Door stop is another good use that comes to mind. You can also throw them at the neighbor's dog when it's barking at 2:00 AM. A good clean hit will shut it up quick. They're really too light to use as a boat anchor, so maritime use is quite limited unless you ran out of 4 oz. bank sinkers and just happen to have the mag laying around. They tend to snag on the bottom, so even that application is not really recommended. You can use them as book ends if you tack weld two of them together at an angle, but that means you'd have to buy four of them to make one set, and I think I can find cheaper book ends. In all seriousness, I bought a couple of those mags not too long after purchasing my M1A back in '02 and found that they might only hold 19 rounds, and they only begin to feed in the semi-automatic sense of the word at 18 or less. Feed failures were frequent even when short loaded. Spend a few extra bucks and buy Type 57 mags if you can still find them. Had much better luck with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts