Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
The not-lost art of moronic activity.

So, anyone care to calculate the stress on the choke, of the entire front half of the shell, exterior included, as it passes through in one piece?

Don't tell Brenneke that slugs weren't invented until 1931, they were up and running by 1895.

In the Depression, with a hungry family, no money, and only shotshells, I can see taking a calculated risk, trading potential safety margins in steel, for possible dinner.

Today? Call me when you're done shooting, i don't want the risk of being there.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Looks like a good way to get a bore obstruction.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I heard that when I was a kid, but never tried it.

Actually from folks who looked a lot like the guy in the video. Did you notice he was not using a high grade gun

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
to all,

there ARE idiots out there who are in search of a village. maybe YOURS.

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Don't tell Brenneke that slugs weren't invented until 1931, they were up and running by 1895.
I suspect that may have come out of a Wkipedia article that gives that date for Foster [sic] slugs. (I am under the impression that the correct spelling is Forster.) Of note, that article links the name of Karl Foster, the presumed inventor, to a character of that name - an openly homosexual nurse - in the British soap opera Coronation Stree.

As with most other walks of life, there are internet sources and there are internet sources. :confused:

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Phantom4570,

actually i'm told that a load of dimes worked "indecently" in the BP era as a crude "anti-personnel round'' (for sweeping trash out of saloons).

also an muzzleloading 4guage or 8guage doublegun loaded with a mixture of broken wine bottles & horseshoe nails seemed to work OK, too. - ask any number of blue-uniformed soldiers about volleys of well concentrated "bloody horror" (as the NY papers described it) that the southern cavalry dished out by the bucket full at close range, from horseback.

yours, sw

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Personally, I don’t consider such information COMPLETELY useless.

Past 25 yards a shotgun begins to have some real issues with putting someone down. Inside 15 yards there are serious issues if all you’re armed with is birdshot. Were I in a defensive situation where I had to shoot beyond 25 yards and all I had was shot, I’d give it a try. Other than that, forget it…Just way to easy to come to the fight with a few proper slugs in a butt-cuff to begin with.

I guess it's an interesting thing to know should you find yourself in a really wierd situation. But to actually consider it as some sort of realistic solution when there's only about a dozen ways to never need such information...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts