Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I was originally going to send this as a private message to S. Camp after seeing his comments on both pistols, but I thought I would throw it out for comments from everyone.
You may have picked up that I am recently back into shooting after a 20+ years hiatus. I have applied to a local pistol range and will be a full member by the end of the month. I am going to purchase a new Ruger MKII with a 5.5” bull barrel this weekend and I also wanted to get a more powerful caliber/gun. I have always liked what I read about the CZ’s and the Hi-powers. Plus the history of the P35 is enough to get my interest going. (In my prior shooting days I had a P-38 and PPK/s).
I want to get a .38spl for CCW and a good out of the box 1911 style .45, just to have…. eventually. My wife is not thrilled about guns so I’m not gong to push the CCW until I have more experience and she is more comfortable.
Anyway, how would you compare the newer Hi-powers vs. the newer CZ75’s?. The shop I go to usually has a couple used HP’s so I should be able to get a used HP or a new CZ75 for about the same price.
A decent 9mm will be a bit cheaper to shoot than a .45 as I get started. I don’t think that I will be reloading anytime in the near or distant future.

Thanks for your time and the answers I have already received on my other questions

Ed

·
Registered
356 Posts
There is very little to fault with either of those choices. The CZ is slightly heavier, has an inverted rail and comes in a broad range of models.

The HP, particularly in the 9mm simply feels absolutely right in my hands. It's a great pointer, unbelievable thin for a double stack handgun.

I'd try this. Next time you're in the store, try both. After YOU have made sure they are unloaded, shut your eyes and bring each up to presentation. Open you eyes and see which one is pointed closer to where you meant to aim and which gives you the better sight picture.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good advice, I did it

Thanks, that was an interesting expierence. The CZ is nice and just a tad heavier. But the HP -- as you said -- just feels right! It is hard to believe how slim it is.

The shop I go to has one FN made MKIII in great shape but they want $599 for it. A bit more than I am able at the present time. They also had an FEG for half the price but I'm bit leary on that one.

Thanks again,

Ed

·
Registered
61 Posts
RE: FEG

In my circle of curio & relics collectors and .45 shooters the FEG in 9mm (the P 35 clone) is actually quite reliable and a good gun...may require a little cleanup and setting up to your needs. I had one for informal shooting and traded it when I got the same BRAND of pistol in .45 acp because the 9mm version was so nice.

STAY AWAY from the FEG GKK 45 ...It threw the front sights 4 times and tho the gun was replaced free, the new gun's slide latch gets UNDERNEATH the magazine follower and I cant drop out the magazine

what a P.O.S.

Yodar

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hello. I enjoy and use both guns though some of my Hi Powers are older ones in addition to the Mk III pistols...which I do prefer. My CZ-75's are Pre-B's, not having the "B" series internal firing pin safety.
However, they handle essentially like the B series. The CZ75B does come with superior, easy to see fixed sights compared to the Pre-B.

While I do prefer the HP over the CZ, it is not by much. The CZ75 is my second favorite 9mm full-size pistol.

Both are reliable with JHP's and both are easy to shoot. Most group very well. Out of the box, the CZ will have the lighter trigger, but most of the time the CZ single-action trigger will not break quite as clean as the HP trigger can be, usually with a trigger job. Mercifully, the CZ does not have the magazine "safety." I remove them on any HP I have and will continue to do so though others argue against it. That said, gunsmiths can put a very fine trigger on a HP that has the device intact.

I prefer the internal simplicity of the HP to the CZ, but have had zero problems with the CZ's I've been shooting since the early '80's.

If at all possible, handle both. The one that is "best" will be the one that you like best.

Good luck.

Best.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments. BUT, I have already spent my money. Steven you may remember me from the FNHiPowers forum where I post as Angus Podgorney. I settled on the F.E.G PJK-9P. At $220. it was hard to resist. I have already found both F.E.G. Factory mags (they hold 14 rounds comfortably) and a couple Factory FN pre-ban mags also.

The gun is a great shooter (verified by people that shoot much better than I do) but it does have a bit of a gritty trigger. I plan on getting a trigger job done asap. When I can afford it I want a different finish too. The factory blue has nothing wrong with it but it is a bit shiney ad shows every little smudge. I like hard chrome but probably some sort of two-tone since I think that looks much better.

I have a wolf 18.5 spring on the way and already have a set of rubber Butler Creek grip stocks.

I also have Steven's book on the Hi Power and his dissembly charts
So far, I am a happy camper.

Thanks again to all

Ed

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hello. While I've never owned an FEG for long-term comments, I've shot quite a few over the years. All have been the HP clone and all have worked well and grouped fine. Quite a few folks are saying nice things about them. Should I find one in my area that's "right" in terms of price vs. condition if not new, I'll have to buy the thing for "research purposes"..............but MAINLY to shoot and enjoy.

Best.

·
Registered
855 Posts
And now for something completely different...

SpecialEd said:
Steven you may remember me from the FNHiPowers forum where I post as Angus Podgorney.
Now there's an obscure reference sure to warm the hearts of Monty Python fans everywhere.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Droning on and on....

Sadly but not surprizingly, you are the first person to pick up on that reference. (At least the first to mention it) My wife would be so proud, she can recite most any skit verbatim. :lol:

Best,

Ed

·
Registered
356 Posts
Angus Podgorney: But what about the forty-eight million kilts and the galaxy of Andromeda?
Detective Inspector: I'm afraid that's just one of his stories. You must understand that a blancmange impersonator and cannibal has to use some pretty clever stories to allay suspicion.
Angus Podgorney: Then you mean...
Detective Inspector: Yes.
Angus Podgorney: But...?
Detective Inspector: How?
Angus Podgorney: Yes.
Detective Inspector: Well...
Angus Podgorney: Not...!
Detective Inspector: I'm afraid so.
Angus Podgorney: Why?
Detective Inspector: Who knows?
Angus Podgorney: Do you think...?
Detective Inspector: Could be.
Angus Podgorney: But...
Detective Inspector: I know.
Angus Podgorney: She was...
Detective Inspector: Yes.
Angus Podgorney: Oh, man.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And now for something completely different...

If this keeps up Fernando is going to have to add a forum for Monty Python fans :p

Ed

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
memory or did you watch the show again?

JAR,

Did you print that dialog from memory or did you fire up the old VCR and watch it again? LOL! :lol:

"You're a strange man Angus Podgorney."

I showed the posts to my wife and she was quite impressed. who knows, maybe she'll loosen up about guns one day when she realizes were all pretty much normal..... sortof... :wink:

Cheers,

Ed

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Re: memory or did you watch the show again?

SpecialEd said:
when she realizes were all pretty much normal..... sortof... :wink:

Cheers,

Ed
I'm glad she's coming to that realiz.....what?....OK, OK, OK!....Sorry, gotta go, the voices told me to go clean my guns again.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
What's next - Firesign Theater ?

"Don't crush that dwarf; hand me the pliers!"

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I spell my name Danger!

See now you're going to get me started :lol: I managed to keep the Monty Python on topic... sortof, by mentioning my wifes feelings about guns but it's going to be hard to keep on topic with all this comedy stuff floating around...

Bearwhiz Beer, it's in the water!

Cheers,

Ed

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: memory or did you watch the show again?

SpecialEd said:
JAR,

Did you print that dialog from memory or did you fire up the old VCR and watch it again? LOL! :lol:

"You're a strange man Angus Podgorney."

I showed the posts to my wife and she was quite impressed. who knows, maybe she'll loosen up about guns one day when she realizes were all pretty much normal..... sortof... :wink:

Cheers,

Ed
Are you saying that there are people out there that haven't memorized ALL of Python? Must be Lumberjacks.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mr. Gumby

At one time I had the words and an mpg file to the "Lumberjack song" in German. As MP did a lot of shows and material in German due to their populairty there.

Ed

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On Topic

Point taken Charlie. Maybe this other stuff can go on the Leisure forum.

Cheers,

Ed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts