Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Death of a Thousand Cuts
No, we're not talking about cuts in the gargantuan federal budget. We're talking about the endless array of smothering regulations, budget-busting entitlements, special interest ear-marks, economically regressive taxes and bureaucratic agencies that have been steadily extinguishing the dream, the American Dream, that drew millions to our shores, raised tens of millions out of poverty and created the greatest locus of hope and opportunity the world has ever known. The slow slicing away at American Exceptionalism (as defined by Tocqueville and not by leftist elitists) could be, we think, the political equivalent of the now abandoned Chinese practice of ling chi, the death of a thousand cuts.

Alexis de Tocqueville, that first and truly prescient chronicler of the American experiment, noted in 1835 in his seminal work American Democracy, "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." …
Read the rest. You know you want to.

I'll note here that the de Tocqueville quote is common misattribution. The quote is a variant expression of a sentiment which is often attributed to Tocqueville or Alexander Fraser Tytler, but the earliest known occurrence is as an unsourced attribution to Tytler in "This is the Hard Core of Freedom" by Elmer T. Peterson in The Daily Oklahoman (9 December 1951): "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy."

·
Registered
201 Posts
djl,
Does that mean that if there's more that likes OBenefits, then the democracy has collapsed? I think you may be tracking right, amigo.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I should qualify that:
Democracy is great as a form of government; I like it, I'll help spread it, but it doesn't work EVERYWHERE. There's a moral aspect involved. If you think not, may I appeal to history--popular vote released a thief named Barabbas.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
JJ said:
djl,
Does that mean that if there's more that likes OBenefits, then the democracy has collapsed? I think you may be tracking right, amigo.
That's exactly what it means. And the 2012 election will show if we have reached the tipping point yet, and hence will begin our inevitable decline.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
JJ said:
I should qualify that:
Democracy is great as a form of government
It is important to remember that the USA is a constitutional republic with democratic representation. The Constitution provides the foundation for the rule of law and the checks and balances between the three branches of government. Unfortunately there are too many of our elected representatives willing to buy votes with tax money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts