Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A young Aide of New York City Mayor DeBlasio has apparently been busted with a handgun after a shooting incident where shots were apparently fired from her car.

The Aide, who had worked on a program to raise the age at which nonviolent offenders could be tried as adults from 16 to 18, was eventually caught with two other suspects. At the time, the police also found a pistol with a partly loaded magazine, a round in the chamber, and a defaced serial number in her car.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/08/direc...f-criminal-justice-busted-for-gun-possession/

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Well.......OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
This was perfectly OK...nothing to see here.

It's only the rabble who shouldn't be allowed to have guns. For the politicians and their cronies, no problem.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
A firearm with a defaced serial number will buy you a felony in Sweet Home Alabama.

Not to mention Shooting into an Occupied Dwelling or Building...

...or at somebody you don't like so much.

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
What surprises me is that any of this made the news papers. Between being an aide for the Mayor her parents are wired.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Irish Cop,

I don't know about AL (It's been over 3 decades since I was stationed at Ft Benning & resided in AL) but here in TX a private person can ask for a firearm, which has a damaged/defaced serial number OR which a person has "privately manufactured", to be RE-serial numbered.
("80 percent completed" receivers are quite popular in TX & some of the completed rifles/handguns are "just plain odd", imVho. ====> I've heard that a fellow in Boerne is "working on" a magazine-fed .410 gauge handgun that takes AR10 magazines.)

Here in Bexar County, so encourage "one-off firearms makers" to get their "creations" serial-numbered, the procedure is FREE & generally takes under an hour. = The BCSD has a "laser engraving machine".

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
SW, as an old lawman you know we still have to prove criminal intent, so someone having a firearm that was made from an 80% lower probably won't quite make that burden of proof. ;)

I spoke with a young man just a couple of weeks ago about this very same issue. To tell you the truth, I wasn't aware that 80% lowers frames (for a Glock in this instance) were being sold and shipped sans serial numbers for people to make them into finished handguns. (And after pricing it out, I really can't see why anyone would, but that's me)

The Feds say you can build one...but only one. Any more and you become a manufacturer, and require the necessary licenses and permits. And it is not transferable...you cannot sell, give away or bequeath the firearm to anybody. Guess you have to be buried with it. Don't ask me.

As far as the serial numbers go, I am getting the word out to the rank and file that they may come across this...but a young cop coming across a guy with a new and what looks like a customized pistol with no serial number...well, your dinner plans might get ruined.

I advised a young man who asked me about this to put some kind of serial number on the gun, for nothing else than to allow it to be entered into NCIC if it is ever stolen. That way, there is at least a chance it will be recovered and returned to you (unless insurance paid off...then it's theirs). :eek:mg:

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
I'm old enough to remember that Colt SAA Spanish copies as well as S&W copies were seldom serial numbered and quit legal.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I'm old enough to remember that Colt SAA Spanish copies as well as S&W copies were seldom serial numbered and quit legal.
And very true of a lot of older firearms. I've seen a lot of old .22ms and shotguns that I couldn't find a number on anywhere. I've got a wall hanger Colt Police Positive in .32 Colt that dates to about 1903 that does have a serial number. That is taken into account also. But any firearm distributed (if not manufactured) in the U.S. in the last, what, 30-40 years, will have one. And the 80% lowers, at least for the Glocks, are going to look enough like their Austrian/Smyrna counterparts that one not having a serial number is going to raise some eyebrows.

I'm just saying, if you build a firearm, check with all the applicable laws and regs, and if it were me, I'd go the extra mile or so to put some kind of unique identifier on your newest acquisition.

·
Super Moderator
13,174 Posts
The Feds say you can build one...but only one. Any more and you become a manufacturer, and require the necessary licenses and permits.
I've never heard this. Do you have a citation?

Yes, you can't sell or even give them away without running afoul of the law. But I've never heard you can only make one.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
And very true of a lot of older firearms. I've seen a lot of old .22ms and shotguns that I couldn't find a number on anywhere. I've got a wall hanger Colt Police Positive in .32 Colt that dates to about 1903 that does have a serial number. That is taken into account also. But any firearm distributed (if not manufactured) in the U.S. in the last, what, 30-40 years, will have one. And the 80% lowers, at least for the Glocks, are going to look enough like their Austrian/Smyrna counterparts that one not having a serial number is going to raise some eyebrows.

I'm just saying, if you build a firearm, check with all the applicable laws and regs, and if it were me, I'd go the extra mile or so to put some kind of unique identifier on your newest acquisition.
I believe all firearms made after 1968 must be serial numbered. I have a Remington 550-1 .22LR rifle made in 1950 that was my father's without serial numbers.
Still, many firearms makers like Colt and Winchester applied S.N.s even back in the 19th century. You can often determine what year a particular firearm was made, and sometimes if it's still in original condition this way.

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
The GCA of 1968 required all firearms manufactured or imported into the United States are to bear a serial number. The law became effective October 22, 1968.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I've never heard this. Do you have a citation?

Yes, you can't sell or even give them away without running afoul of the law. But I've never heard you can only make one.
Snake, that's what I was told by an ATF agent when I was researching this. I'll try to get the specifics and post here.

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
From ATF

Does an individual need a license to make a firearm for personal use?

No, a license is not required to make a firearm solely for personal use. However, a license is required to manufacture firearms for sale or distribution. The law prohibits a person from assembling a non-sporting semiautomatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as well as firearms that cannot be detected by metal detectors or x-ray machines. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o), (p) and (r); 26 U.S.C. 5822; 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

Last Reviewed November 6, 2017

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-individual-need-license-make-firearm-personal-use

·
Super Moderator
13,174 Posts
Snake, that's what I was told by an ATF agent when I was researching this. I'll try to get the specifics and post here.
Well then! A cop said it, so it must be The Law! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts