Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today at work a truck driver came in, and since it was lunch time and he had to wait for my employees to finish lunch, he stayed in our office talking. He knows I sell guns and we have talked many times about different firearms.

He proceeds to tell me about his being in court yesterday --- It seems a month ago he was driving his tractor trailer behind a slow driver in a pickup for a number of miles. The guy kept varying his speed but never got near the speed limit. They came to a section of roadway that was 2 lane, so the driver (I will call him Driver #1) got into the left lane and proceeded to pass the pickup truck. As they near the end of the 2 lane, the pickup sped up and attempted to pass on the right, but did not have enough room to do so. Driver #1 continued to the tire shop he was going to (to get some tires changed) and pulled up in front off the tire shop bay doors. He had not noticed that the pickup truck had followed him. All the sudden Driver #1 hears the pickup screech in front of the tractor and the pickup driver ( I will call him Driver #2) proceeded to scream and curse out the window. Driver #1 tells Driver #2 that he does not want any arguement and for him to just get the F out of there.

Driver #1 turns and starts to walk towards the tire shop office when Driver #2 screams "Well I'll teach you a lesson"! Driver #1 turns and sees Driver #2 reaching behind his seats and at first thinks Driver #2 is getting a club --- Driver #1 qucikly realizes that it is not a club, but Driver #2 has a 12ga Pump Action Shotgun. Driver #2 sticks the barrel out the window pointing it at Driver #1 and proceeds to rack the action. Driver #1 lept and grabbed the receiver with his right hand and the barrel with his left hand (knocking driver #2's hand off the trigger) and begins wrestling over the firearm. Driver #2 puts the truck into reverse trying to knock driver #1 into a telephone pole to jar him loose from the gun. After dragging Driver #1 almost 25 feet backwards, Driver #2 puts the truck into drive and drags Driver #1 about 50 feet forwards before Driver #1 finally let go of the shotgun and Driver #2 proceeded to leave the scene.

Driver #1 grabs his cell phone and calls 911, and 2 tire shop employees who had witnessed the whole thing came out and gave Driver #1 the license # of the truck to give to the police.

At the courthouse, Driver #2's (who is a 50 year old Plumber with a family, and has never been charged with any prior crimes) Lawyer trys to get his clients charges plea bargained down from Attempted Murder, Making Terrorist Threats amoung sundry other charges to a misdemeanor charges (and 3 years of probation). The prosecutor had to get approval from the victim, so he comes to Driver #1 and tells him that it is a cut and dried case and with the 2 witnesses the felony charges will bring a minimum sentence of 10 years in Prison, or if the victim approves, Driver #2 will get simply the 3 years probation. Driver #1 insists that along with probation, Driver #2 has to be banned from owning or possessing weapons and that a protective order must be issued so that Driver #2 has to stay away from Driver #1 and his family and the 2 witness's and their families. Driver #2 agreed with the terms and the plea bargain was entered. The prosecutor told Driver #1 he was a gracious man and that most victims would not have let the other person off.

the question I have for my poll is, given the same circumstances, Would YOU agree to the plea bargain, or would you insist on Prison Time(10 years+)?? I told Driver #1 I was posting this here, so comments are welcome -----

Mike

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
the question I have for my poll is, given the same circumstances, Would YOU agree to the plea bargain, or would you insist on Prison Time(10 years+)?? I told Driver #1 I was posting this here, so comments are welcome -----
I'd consider letting a plea to smoething minor if there had only been veral abuse, but once he pulled the gun, I'd either have shot or if it made it to court, see that has as a loooong time to think about it. With a anger problem that driver #2 exhibited, there's no reason not to worry he won't buy and gun and come looking for a pay-back.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sam --

Driver #1 is a tractor trailer driver --- and LIVES in OHIO --- thus no CCW or legal carry of gun in truck because of DOT regs!

I was nice enough not to tell him to his face how stupid I thought it was to let the guy go --- Part of his rationalization was that the guy was 50 "and would be 60 when he got out" ---- I pointed out to him that with good behavior and such, the guy would have been lucky if he was in Prison for much more than 3.5 years --- And I pointed out that I would have never let him plea down to a misdemeanor!! For what he did, he should live his life with a FELONY on his record.

One comment the driver did make was that if the guy should happen to hurt someone else at a later date, it would weigh on him for the rest of his life!

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts