Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
Early reports on the Sturm Ruger SR-1911 indicate one of the most critical processes in the manufacture of the firearm have been DELIBERATELY DELETED!

Yes, the spring retaining notch in the side of the Recoil Spring Plug has BEEN DELETED!

Is this evidence of modern american decay? Moral degradation? Treatment of the sacred ultra pistol as a mere TOY and not a totem one bets ones life on?

Or am I just pole vaulting over mouse turds?

Geoff
Who is picky, but dagnabbit, I have chased the bloody plug under an F'n tank before!

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Need a bigger stick? Half the 1911s I own and have worked on are minus the little grab-notch for the spring.

What's next? The Stocks aren't brown plastic???

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Without the spring plug the pistol does not function. The little notch turned around the end of the recoil spring retains the plug, without it, it's all too easy to launch the plug to points unknown. Most recent pistols use a captive rod and spring, Glock, SWaMPy, even the Hi-Power which avoids the problem.

A cast part is cheap, but cutting that notch would knock a hole instead of forming a tab.

Geoff
Who notes his Colt is proper, his Springfield is notchless.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
You are aware the weapon makes it's own replacement part? A fired case works just fine and for most of year my carrygun had one when I was working in EBF Montana.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Not trying to pile on, but this is the first I've ever heard of such a feature. It's always been my understanding that you kept your thumb over the plug as you gradually released pressure. At any rate, neither my '89 vintage Series 80 Combat Commander nor my Kahr/AO "GI" repro have such a notch, though I may looking at the wrong thing entirely.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Even on the 1911s I was issued or worked on in the arms room very few actually captured the spring with the tab. You kept your thumb on the plug or risked launching it.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I was trained to engage the spring in the notch but launched countless plugs anyhow. Actually the notch has been gone on aftermarket parts for years and years. Don't know about new Colts though

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
I've been aware of the little notch-retainer-thingie for decades but I think it's broken off in most of the few GI plugs I have in use. Don't think I've ever seen one on an aftermarket plug.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
Don't know about new Colts though
A lady brought her Series 80 into the shop today. It was totally as factory issued. It did not have the tab.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jdh said:
Charlie Petty said:
Don't know about new Colts though
A lady brought her Series 80 into the shop today. It was totally as factory issued. It did not have the tab.
And people wonder why Colt's is in trouble. Sigh. I wonder if that part is now cast or MIM.

Geoff
Who owns a Colt Mk. IV S. 70 in .45ACP with the notch, and the finger bushing.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
So what does this "notch" look like? I GOTTA see what vital part of my pistols I'm risking my life by not having!! :ek:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I thought that was how to tell when to replace the spring using the 10/5 rule. If you launched the plug across the room and could find it in under 10 min or less than 5 bad words then you need a new spring.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Skeptic49 said:
Goggle is thy friend. See the notch at:

......Geoff
Who is curious, how do the full length guides work?
"Goggle???" :ek: :wink: Methinks thou meaneth Google, friendeth. :)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Skeptic49 said:
Goggle is thy friend. See the notch at:

http://auction-e.com/usgi-m1911-recoil- ... 86646.html

The notch is cut into the side of the plug with a tool. It engages the open end of the recoil spring and keeps the plug from flying away when field stripped for cleaning.

Geof
Who is curious, how do the full length guides work?
O Goggle-Fu Master, I humbly bow to you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts