Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start my rant and deny myself answers from knowledgeable folk who don't have the time to read this, this bottom line is, I want to know what a good and powerful carry load is for my 10mm Auto pistol. Not aiming for subsonic, I'm aiming for the true power of a 10mm that won't overpenetrate, and won't break apart on medium or heavy clothing.

Actual post starts here:

Hello all,

It's been awhile since I've posted on here. My tour of Iraq came to a close, and I've redeployed back to Fort Carson. I've been home for about a month. In accordance with Colorado State laws, now that I'm 21, I'm permitted to own and carry a handgun. As my Concealed Carry Permit is still processing, I'm proudly open carrying. In fact, I prefer to open carry. I like the statement it makes, the crimes in my vicinity it deters, and it just makes me feel like more of a red-blooded American.

I've chosen to try out a Glock. Specifically, a Glock 20SF, in 10mm Auto. Why? Well, for one, I'm an avid Jeff Cooper fan and I've always liked the 10mm round. I'm willing to deal with the expensive and difficult to find ammo (though it's not so bad, really.) Also, I live in a mountain town, and I hike regularly. I feel that 10mm Auto is a very good wilderness defense gun. I trust a full metal jacket round out of this pistol to take down anything in this continent. But for better for worse, temporarily or for years, this is also my general open-carry gun. I'm impressed with the Glock though I've been turned off to them for years for no legitimate reason. The fact that I can carry 15+1 of such a powerful cartridge is comforting to me. I trust this gun.

Well, I've been running target ammo though it by the hundred. Remington UMC and Blazers. Sadly, right now, I have those rounds loaded as my carry rounds. Having used plenty of .223, I'm not a stranger to overpenetration. I'm also aware how ineffective full metal jacket rounds can be, (especially 9mm). I'd be very hesitant to use this in most situations, mostly due to overpenetration. However, I know these rounds will feed, no questions asked. Since the gun was new and I wiped the packing grease out minutes before shooting it (bought it at my favorite range) hundreds of various FMJ rounds have gone through it with NO malfunctions of any kind.

However, I recently got a box I saw for sale of "Buffalo Bore" 1300FPS hollowpoints. In 50 rounds fired, I had two stovepipes. No good.

So my question to the experts, as I've had so many answers from others, is what ammo would you recommend through my Glock 20SF pistol?
Federal Hydra-Shok is the answer I've heard most often. And in a .45, I'd carry them without even thinking twice. But my dilemma is, for better or worse I chose 10 auto. This is a powerful round that can fly 2200FPS, easily. That ammo is subsonic, so I may as well have a .40 S&W to carry that. The power is available, why not use it?

Are there any defense rounds that will utilize the power of 10mm, without overpenetrating, and without breaking up on so much as a thick jacket like the blue-tipped Glasers will?
I also wonder, what is a good equally powerful FMJ round for wildnerness defense against larger animals? My Blazer and UMC ammo is 1200FPS, and I know this round can do almost twice that with a good load.
I believe I have a 17 pound spring, and I've only fired 1300FPS rounds at the most. I believe my pistol will handle full-power 10mm rounds, but only time at the range will tell.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Welcome home and thank you for your service :thumbsup:

You've probably already gotten the best answer and dismssed it but I'd like you to consider WHY power is so important to you. Is that based on some life experience or just something you heard or read?

You dismiss the "subsonic" .40 but why do you suppose something over 70% of law enforcement agencies are using it now? It was designed specifically to equal the FBI's 10mm load in a smaller package. Does the speed of sound have anything with ammo effectiveness.

One of the reasons the 9mm was adopted was because it DID go fast and you've seen how that turned out.

Overpenetration is a great buzzword that rarely matters in the real world.

Let me suggest that you test yourself. Get a box of Federal 10mm and whatever hot load you like- possibly the Hornady 170 JHP. Shoot a standard course of fire with both and see how the results compare.

One of my favorite quotes is, "what you shoot somebody with is far less important than where you shoot them."

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
2-1 Golf; Charlie Petty,

CP: that is precisely why i shoot NON- Plus P 9mm (Winchester 9JHP) in my beloved Sig P6 = it's EASY to fill the K-5 area with that pistol/round.

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I'm rather curious as to what exotic 10 mm ammo you found with a muzzle velocity of 2200 fps? Possibly your fingers were on the wrong digits or you're quoting velocities from the few 10mm subguns around. There's nothing suitable for defensive use available in the real world with those kind of velocities.

I carried an issue 10mm for about 15 years. For at least 5 years, our duty load was a 180 XTP @ 1270 fps +/- 50 fps. I'll cheerfully join Charile in his comments about bullet placement being far more important than muzzle energy or velocity. Based upon decades of experience as an instructor, I'll also note that while folks are far more concerned with whatever stopping power may be, no one seems to note the significant degredation of speed and accuracy the ocurrs once the muzzle energy gets too much over 350/400 foot pounds. What you can do with the weapon when you're ready to go and with both hands on the weapon may well have nothing whatever to do with the circumstances of your particular tactical problem.

I'll strongly suggest going with the Federal Classic or some other major manufacturers 10mm (shun the boutique makers) of whatever ballistics, and practice with being good and fast with not only both hands, but either one by itself.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
no one seems to note the significant degredation of speed and accuracy the ocurrs once the muzzle energy gets too much over 350/400 foot pounds.
I don't disagree with that at all but I dislike it because it makes it easy to assume "more is better". Which ain't always so.

An industry friend in the LE arena suggested free recoil energy might be a more meaningful term. It's harder to calculate but it is something anyone can test for themselves with a little effort. Since it takes into account gun weight in addition to the other stuff a shooter can usually feel a relatively small change. My friend said that 4-5 ft/lb of free recoil energy was about as much as the average cop could handle comfortably.

I don't know if there is any real test data behind that but it seems about right IMX.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am a firm believer in Coopers 40, 200, 1000 rule. For me, bigger is better. I carry one of 3 45ACP I own. A 200gr XTP over enough AA#5 to give me 1050fps. Given my choice I would prefer a 50cal BMG with a full belt for self defense. Bit bulky and heave to carry around all day though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts