Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting back into archery after a long time away.

Have been shooting regularly, just haven't been paying attention to the technology and magazines, etc. Still shooting old 60s model Bear Grizzly bows and cedar/fiberglass arrows... if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Anyway, seems there is a Glock kB like phenomenon w the new carbon fiber arrows. They have actually "blown up" on release and injured archers! Makers of the arrows have warnings to check every arrow five or six times before every shot (yeah, right).

http://www.beman.com/product-information/index.tpl

Kinda like telling people not to shoot reloaded ammo in their Glocks...

Of course, the new arrows are very popular and there is no proof they are indeed any riskier than wood, fiberglass, or aluminum arrows, even though archery forums have posted pics of skewered arms, and they do seem to kB more than the old arrows ever did or do... I sure see more pieces of them at the range than I ever remember seeing of the other stuff...

I did buy 2 dozen new arrows. Easton Legacy model: made of aluminum made to look like wood... :lol:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
And of course... "It's not the bow, it's the ammo!"

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, in this case, it _is_ the ammo (arrow), not the bow. ;)

Seems to me the problem is a damaged-enough-to-hurt-ya-if-shot aluminum/wood arrow is pretty obvious to spot just by looking at it.

Not so w the new carbon fiber arrows. They could be damaged enough to kB on release and ya wouldn't know unless ya did the testing process (bend and twist multiple times; what a hassle); they can look just fine, but are not.

Kinda like some Glocks w factory ammo? :twisted:

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Just don't use reloads...
of course, at $2/arrow for cheap arrows and $5/arrow for others, that could get expensive.

G

·
I used to fling darts, too, as a kid

and I've both had it happen and seen it happen, wooden arrows shattering at release of the string. Do they still make fiberglass arrows? I never did like the idea of aluminum shafts getting dented.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heck, good wooden arrows can go over $5 or more now, and the other stuff as much as $10 each! I bought custom arrows on line for less than the local pro shop wanted ($65 v $100/dz).

A Grizzly that cost $50 bucks new in '66 costs about $300 now; about right considering inflation?

Have not seen any glass arrows at all. There are some glass/carbon and some aluminum/carbon composites though.

The last dozen practice arrows I bought cost about $20 and lasted over 30 yrs (had all 12 til about 2000, I still have 6 of them)! Wish I could get ammo that cheap I could shoot as long/often! ;)

G

·
looks like I will STILL be making my own,from dowels bought at the lumberyard, just like I did 37 years ago. :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
I shoot a PSE Machflight 4 Signature and I had a fiberglass arrow disintegrate on release. Even wearing a full hunting arm guard it left a hell of a bruise on my forearm. I switched to aluminum shafts and will stay with them.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I have a lot of catching up to do.
The last bow I bought was in 1969. It was custom made by a local Archery shop. The last time I bow Hunted was 1983. Funny enough, I think it was on G.W. Bush's property. I knew the caretaker.

Many of my old and new friends have remained/become active Bow Hunters..... I am interested again, and should probably start learning all over again... while I can still draw my bow:)

Thanks for the good thread guys.

Gerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts