Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...walk into your local LGS and see something(s) you didn't really need, weren't planning on buying, but for some reason you just had to have?

Last Saturday I stopped by just to look around and shoot the bull with the patrons and workers...kill an hour or two, since the wifey was out of town.

Low and behold, I spotted a 10" barreled .45 Colt "Buntline" hanging on the wall. The one with the badge inlaid on the right grip, ostensibly an imitation of the gun used by Kurt Russell in the movie Tombstone. Also had a 4.75" SAA clone in .357 magnum. Both sold by Cimarron, made by Uberti.

I divested myself of my only SAA (a USFA) about a year ago. (Damned thing kept breaking - three times in two years, and wasn't shot that much). Kinda missed having a thumb-buster.

After hemming and hawing, and a little wheeling and dealing, I bought both. Really seem to be pretty well made. Don't have the Turnbull color case hardening the USFA did, but they didn't have it's price tag either. Shot them both on Sunday and was very happy.

Needless to say, I drug out all my John Wayne BluRay and DVD's, re-watched Tombstone (really a very good movie) and generally became a 60 year old man playing cowboy.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
My God, Irishcop, you're as bad as I am!!!
Have fun with your new revolver!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Uberti makes some nice guns these days, I'm sure you'll be happy with them. I agree with you Tombstone is one of the better movies about that whole affair.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My God, Irishcop, you're as bad as I am!!!
Have fun with your new revolver!
What the hey, Tommy. We'll enable each other! :D

As I've said before, I have the will power of a two dollar crack whore. :rolleyes: I realize it. So does my wonderful wife.

Now excuse me. I have to go make my bed out under a pine tree. :lol:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Tombstone... it's one of the half dozen or so flicks that if I stumble across it, gets watched 'till the end.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uberti makes some nice guns these days, I'm sure you'll be happy with them. I agree with you Tombstone is one of the better movies about that whole affair.
I'm pretty impressed by these two repro's. Timing is excellent, with the bolt locking up when the hammer hits full cock, and no turn lines on the cylinder. Lock up is Colt bank vault tight. Apparently Uberti took a page from Ruger's book and is using the coil spring and plunger arrangement instead of the leaf type hand spring. Fit and finish is very well done. The Buntline has a measured trigger pull of 3lbs, the Model P 4.75" at a little under 3lbs.

I'll let you guys know how they work out.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Coincidentally, if one magazine article I saw is to be believed, the actual movie prop gun was a Cimarron, off the same line as yours.

Doc's street-howitzer is supposedly, per the same source, made by Izhmash--the IZH43KH, imported by EAA as their "Bounty Hunter II". Personally, I wish I could find somebody who made affordable but accurate repros of the old Greeners and the various types built for and issued by Wells Fargo...

+1 re Tombstone, even with that anti-gun twit Kurt Russell--in his defense, he actually did do a fair amount of research for the role, so maybe he deserves a little respect on those grounds. (Not quite the Gregory Peck level with how he made them totally rewrite MacArthur after his own research indicated a different story than what the script was telling, but... with Hollyweird today one takes what wins one can get.)

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
ya, but he's only 5' 9 ''- the poster for the movie has him "enhanced" somewhat
and i'd call him a hypocrite rather than anti gun- he's made considerable coin using that particular tool

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
HEY! I'll take 5'9" any day... that's three more inches than what I got to work with. :(

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I didn't know he was "anti-gun". He is an avid hunter and took a lot of heat not long ago because he sponsors a program where he organizes hunts which then turns over the harvested meat for distribution to the needy.

The press were hounding him on camera about whether or not it was "moral" to kill animals...probably after they had steak tartare for brunch. :confused::grumble:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/10/joe-zimmerman/hollywood-hypocrisy-on-guns/

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-10162.html

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Aw shucks Terry I thought you were bringing a touch of class to the board...

That is a great song from the movie "High Society" with Louis Armstrong, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and GRACE (swoon) Kelly.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
...walk into your local LGS and see something(s) you didn't really need, weren't planning on buying, but for some reason you just had to have?
Yeah, several times, and at gun shows, too.

Been a while, though. I'd have to think awhile to give you specifics.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aw shucks Terry I thought you were bringing a touch of class to the board...

That is a great song from the movie "High Society" with Louis Armstrong, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and GRACE (swoon) Kelly.
Ahhhh! Grace Kelly! You got the swoon right, Charlie. She was an almost ephemeral beauty. Between her and Maureen O'Hara is there any wonder I am so proud of my Irish heritage?

Class? Charlie, please! The little bit of class I have I used to convince Debby to marry me. She sure didn't marry me for my charm, looks or money. I guess after that I just grew on her.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Charlie, the last time, it wasn't the hand spring. That had been replaced by Longhunter Shooting Supply in Amarillo with the Ruger coil type spring. The hammer itself broke at the pivot. And while I admit to dry firing it much more than I shot the durn thing, I had very good snap caps in it, and never, at least in my opinion, abused the gun (no "fanning" or silly stuff like that), generally used the "cowboy" loads, real mild and designed for the CAS crowd. So I sold it off and got most of my money back.

'Course now I see USFA's selling (or at least trying to be sold) for outrageous sums of money on Gunbroker and the like.

Story of my life. :help:

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I will extend an apology if it turns out I'm wrong re Russell--I know he's chained to Goldie Hawn who's been reported as a FLAMING Anti-Second Amendment Bigot in the past, and at one time I'm pretty sure I saw him on the NRA-ILA Blacklist too.

However, do remember that Steven Spielberg owns a helluvan arsenal too, and when John Milius called him on it the response was "oh, gun-control is for THOSE [read: "the foul-smelling masses"] people, not us."

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will extend an apology if it turns out I'm wrong re Russell--I know he's chained to Goldie Hawn who's been reported as a FLAMING Anti-Second Amendment Bigot in the past, and at one time I'm pretty sure I saw him on the NRA-ILA Blacklist too.

However, do remember that Steven Spielberg owns a helluvan arsenal too, and when John Milius called him on it the response was "oh, gun-control is for THOSE [read: "the foul-smelling masses"] people, not us."
No sweat, Diamondback. He may very well have said something at one time or another that came across as "anti-gun". And there are shooters who have opinions concerning various aspects of gun ownership and use that don't match up with mine (or yours, or the NRA's). But for a Hollywood actor, he seems to be pretty much a breath of fresh air.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
You may be conflating Tombstone's Kurt Russell with Wyatt Earp's Kevin Costner, who is famous for wanting guns for him and his but wanting restrictions for you and yours.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
" conflating ". Have you been watching Brian Williams again Ed? I had to look that word up when he used it.However your vocabulary is probably better than mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts