Gunhub.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Thank you very much. This information should be spread widely. Clean water will become very important in the breakdown. Contaminated water will sweep away large numbers of the unprepared with typhoid. My supplies contain three gallons of plain bleach.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edge said:
Thank you very much. This information should be spread widely. Clean water will become very important in the breakdown. Contaminated water will sweep away large numbers of the unprepared with typhoid. My supplies contain three gallons of plain bleach.
Always rotate the bleach every three months or so. Magic marker the bought date on the bottle.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Holy cow! One more thing I didn't know about. This forum will save my bacon yet... Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
bleach

Me thinks that Clorox(bleach), will kill bacteria and viruses, but... in order to get the nasty Giardia and Cryptosporidia cysts(spores, whatever) the bleach would be so strong you'd have to boil it anyway. Filtration is effective provided the pores are small enough and I think boiling is also effective. Others (and I know some poster who specialize in water treatment) may want to chime in.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: bleach

M1Rifleman said:
Me thinks that Clorox(bleach), will kill bacteria and viruses, but... in order to get the nasty Giardia and Cryptosporidia cysts(spores, whatever) the bleach would be so strong you'd have to boil it anyway. Filtration is effective provided the pores are small enough and I think boiling is also effective. Others (and I know some poster who specialize in water treatment) may want to chime in.
What do you think kills the G & C in public water supplies?
Hint: Chlorine. :D

Last I heard, prior to Y2k, was the G & C has been found in every known water source in the US. From the high mountain streams to
the lowest swamp. Any back country campers know this for sure?

·
Registered
214 Posts
chlorine

Rick, guess what didn't kill the G/C cysts in a large Midwestern city (Chicago I think) a decade or so back. >200,000 sick, more than several died.
hint Chlorine :cry:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: chlorine

M1Rifleman said:
Rick, guess what didn't kill the G/C cysts in a large Midwestern city (Chicago I think) a decade or so back. >200,000 sick, more than several died.
hint Chlorine :cry:
Well, does anyone know how to make chloramine easily?

Dallas Water Supply

http://www.dallascityhall.com/dwu/water_quality_information.html

How Drinking Water is Treated

DWU uses chemical treatment, settling, filtering and disinfection to purify drinking water. The chemicals we use include: chlorine and ammonia (which combines to make chloramine) or ozone to disinfect the water; lime and iron sulfate to remove suspended solids in the water and for corrosion control; activated carbon to control offensive tastes and odors; and fluoride to help prevent tooth decay. We use chloramine instead of chlorine to protect the health and safety of our citizens. Studies have shown that using chlorine by itself can cause a reaction in the water that leaves by-products called trihalomethanes. Some studies indicate that trihalomethanes could be harmful if consumed in large quantities over long periods of time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It was Milwaukee WI, that had the problem with the drinking water. It was not do to the lack or too much chlorine. It was a turbidity problem that masked the Giardia and Cryptosporidia cysts. There for the chlorine could not react with the Giardia and Cryptosporidia cysts to kill them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree that the excess turbity and the presence of the cysts are related. Remove the turbidity and there's a very good chance the cysts are gone too. Then the chorine can do its job. Nevertheless the cysts are very resistant to even large doses of chlorine, the cyst travels in water in this defensive mode. If you don't and they are in the water you will be sorry. Maybe not dead but sorry. Filter or boil any surface water collected for drinking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts