Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
igli elsewhere said:
I kinda feel like a beagle trying to run with the *big* dogs. You boys seem to know your way around the weapons rack pretty well :)

Bearing this in mind, I'll post a question about adjusting drift sights on a Beretta in a new thread. I suspect you may have better methods than the obvious smack-that-baby-with-a-hammer method...
As has been noted in the other thread, if you "tap" instead of "smack," you should be fine, #1, and, #2, and based on my extensive experience with H.R.H. Charles of Flatbush, beagles usually lead the pack.

[IMG=center]http://pages.prodigy.net/deanspeir/images/charles-in-memorium.jpg[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did keep Rotties, both running mates of crafty ol' Charles… I lost Ms. TeeJaye to osteosarcoma two years ago in the Spring, and Jessica Rugnetta Naughty Dog to a brain tumor in May 2003… that was a heartbreaker: four hours from diagnosis to her passing. She was a darlin' gal:
[IMG=center]http://pages.prodigy.net/deanspeir/images/jessie-obit.jpg[/IMG]

Now it's jus' Louie the Truculent and Princess Grace of Medford, both American Stratfordshire Terrier mixes, but Amazin' Gracie (who can do a six-foor hurricane fence from a single bounce 'n' bound and dig a four foot long by two foot deep escape tunnel in less than an hour) has some Rotty in her, as well as some Boxer with her one white sock. (I think her female forebearers were a bit on the loose, cheap and easy side.) But that's all she has in her… not a single active brain cell! M'ever-lovin' thinks it's a case of "Doggie ADD." But she's a love and a joy.

Here's Louie:
[IMG=center]http://pages.prodigy.net/deanspeir/images/louie-inverted.jpg[/IMG]
And Gracie:
[IMG=center]http://pages.prodigy.net/deanspeir/images/gracie05.jpg[/IMG]

Not that I've given up on Rotties, mind you… if even I run across this vehicle…
[IMG=center]http://pages.prodigy.net/deanspeir/images/rotti-express.jpg[/IMG]
…there will probably be a car-jacking shortly thereafter!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
[IMG=left]http://www.ambackforum.com/files/im000477.jpg[/IMG]
"He he he he..."

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
[IMG=left]http://www.planetrainbowsix.com/armm/images/shannonprofile2.jpg[/IMG]

Beagles may be at the front, but Border Collies keep the pack on track. :wink:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Beagles rule!

My beagle, Alf the Wonder Dog, negotiated a deal with my macaws, Bishop and Cleo, where the birds toss Alf food in return for Alf not noticing that they're doing wood-chipper imitations on the furniture.

Let's see your border collie do that!

mb

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Is that the same doggie that negotiated your ear (or was it a lip) half off about 6 months ago? :lol:

Ed

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
MBaneACP said:
Beagles rule!

My beagle, Alf the Wonder Dog, negotiated a deal with my macaws, Bishop and Cleo, where the birds toss Alf food in return for Alf not noticing that they're doing wood-chipper imitations on the furniture.

Let's see your border collie do that!
Any such deal would have to involve large quantities of bacon, peanut butter, bananas, and bread. Otherwise, they risk "The Chomp" for not bending to the will of "The Eye".

Mmm....Macaw McNuggets!

[IMG=left]http://www.planetrainbowsix.com/armm/images/lipsmackingood.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
853 Posts
I enjoyed the great dog pictures and the trunk full of rottie pups is the end all. We lost our 4 year old "best dog I ever had" rotti. Bear went from perfect health to death in 4 months to canine auto immune system failure. We now have a German Shepard who is 4 years old and is a handsome brute who has worked out living arrangements with our big yellow tom cat and our 22 year old Yellow Nape parrot. They put on one hell of a show.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice pics!
While we're on the topic of dogs, maybe someone can help me out.
I had this dog take up aroung the house abused and kindy scrawny. I've since nursed him back to health and his "please don't beat me" mentality is getting better everyday. My question is what is it???
I know it's gotta be a "sooner" (it'd just as soon be this kind as that) but I've been trying to figure out what combo of dogs could come up with "a lab with warmieraner (sp?) eyes". That's my theory, whats yours?
Here's a few pics.
Blaze

P.S. That's not the flash or the sun, his eyes are realy gray like that...in all actuality the light may even take away from the way you'd see them face to face...

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Lab and Weimaraner(sp) is a pretty good guess. Maybe a Lab and a Visla or some greyhound. Something tells me that dog is a blur when she wants to pour on the speed.

Ed

·
Registered
853 Posts
Blaze, nice dog and very nice truck! I agree that he looks like a lot of yellow lab which is a good thing. He also looks very calm which will make him fun to have along. I'll bet that he has no problem hopping up into that truck and hitting the trails.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks! I'm not sure about the riding part, I'm still trying to get him from being scared of everything...he was abused.

And yes Ed, when it's feeding time or he hasn't seen me in a while he comes flying around the house...he's actualy quite funny because he's still so much of a puppy.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Blaze said:
...he's actualy quite funny because he's still so much of a puppy.
I know what you mean, all legs and knees! We have a lot of wooden floors and when our two start their post-prandial crazies every evening it gets noisey and funny!

Did you ever see that comercial where the woman and kids set up stacks of toilet paper around the house than call the dog in? A big, akward Visla puppy comes bounding in and sliding around the floors and crashing into the toilet paper stacks... kind of lke that around here at night.

Ed

·
Registered
97 Posts
KAZ said:
We now have a German Shepard who is 4 years old and is a handsome brute who has worked out living arrangements with our big yellow tom cat and our 22 year old Yellow Nape parrot. They put on one hell of a show.
Kaz - is it unusual for a GSD to come to terms with other family pets? I am considering getting one as my next dog, but we have 3 cats and an African Grey Parrot that I need to know will be safe with whatever canine friend I adopt.

Did you get your dog as a 4-yr old? Or, did he grow up with the cat and bird?

Thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'd suggest a puppy for introduction in a household of parrots. Our beagle does wonderfully with the parrots (NEVER unsupervised play!!!); when the puppy came into the house (3 months old), we decided to crate train her and set the crate next to the parrots' huge cages. The puppy never cried, which surprised the heck out of my girlfriend and I until one night we hid on the stairs after we turned out the lights. When the puppy started to cry, our grey parrot, Ripley, would get as close to Alf's crate as he could and start crooning, "That's okay, Alf. Alf's a good bird...goooooood bird. Good bird, Alf..." until the puppy stopped crying and went to sleep.

Of course, the macaws struck their own deals.

mb

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Re: For those who don't know…

DeanSpeir said:
Our friend Michael is a writer… and a pretty good one at that!

Funny story, Bane!
Yep, I was thinking about voting against his show (even though my cable company doesn't carry it) so maybe he'd have a little more time on his hands to finish the sequel to ANR. :twisted:

Ed

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
most dogs that have been abused can be given their self-=esteem and pride back- it takes about 3-4 months of constant reinforcement and love- my last koenigs shepard( that's the bigger- heavier variety of the gsd- the one with the black-bear sized paws) was 4 when i got her and would roll on her back the second anybody approached( submissive behaviour) after we got her worm problem cleared up( pound problem , not mine) and i started teaching her that nobody was going to hurt her and rolling on her back was not acceptable, she turned out to be an excellent dog- and super- protective- i lost her due to disc disease 8 years ago-now i've got a wonderful gsd male -who's waiting for a car ride

1 - 20 of 25 Posts