Gunhub.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, thought I'd pass along some info to the fellow Garand collectors. I picked up an awsome 308 built Grand from HPS and decided I wanted to ditch the Beech and go synthtic.

Finally opted for a DPMS M1 Garand synthetic stock through Brownells after never having luck with ram-line in my life and the Bell and Carlson was a tad pricy.

Well, ya' get what ya' pay for :evil: this was a "mid priced" synthic stock as compared to some I've seen so I wasnt expecting a drop in.....but I wasnt expecting what I got either.

I removed the old stock and proceeded to tryto drop the new stock on. Ok...a little tight... I understand thats a good thing......

Finnally get her on, a little ruff getting the trigger group back in and latched. and then.... WTH :shock:

there is nearly a 3/8" GAP between the front end of the stock and the lower band :shock: Add another 1/4" if it was to actually make it INTO the lower band. :evil:

The profile wasnt even close....... I would need some serious filler material and and extension to fill this gap....not to mention the absolute wrong profile on the end........... more sanding, fitting and adding material than could be concievable imagined..........

Its going back to Brownells :?

Will try the Bell and Carleson at more than twice the price of the DPMS....... we'll see.

Stay tuned. I'll let you know what's what when I get "round II" of synthetic stocks.

Hope this saves someone some time, money and effort; this one ranks up there with a real big disappointment for me after doing really well on my last syn for a 1903A3.....................

Metalhead

((PS: Mods....I put this here as it was specific to the Garand rather than just "stocks" in general; hope I made the right choice & will understand though if its better suited there.........))

·
Registered
220 Posts
Bell & Carlson synthetic stock.

I have a Bell & Carlson Synthetic stock on one of my M1's. It did require some minor inletting at the rear of the trigger group. I put a Amega Ranges scout mount on it which takes the place of the rear hand guard, so I can not tell you any thing about the fit of the rear hand guard. Over all, I like the stock.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Plus 1 for Bell and Carlson. Then replace the rear handguard with an Amega Ranges scope mount, Smith Enterprise rings and a Burris or Leupold scout scope.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Retmsgt. said:
Metalhead, remember, wood's never a bad choice.
I've got no problem with wood 8) Just looking for one more layer of security that when I grab the Garand my mind knows for absolute sure that I'm holding the 308 and not an ~06. I just know me and fear I would be grabbing the wrong ammo can(s) when heading out to either the range or hunting.......(DOH! :oops: )

I just am too harsh on my hunting guns (which is why I got this one) and wood has never held its own in comparison to any of my synthetics...............

Thanks gents for the mentionings of the B&C....... if'n that route doesnt work I think I'll just bite the bullet and get some real funky hybrid wood and dye 'er a definitely different color/shade than the rest of the collection..

Metalhead

G

·
0 Posts
metalhead357 said:
Retmsgt. said:
Metalhead, remember, wood's never a bad choice.
I've got no problem with wood 8) Just looking for one more layer of security that when I grab the Garand my mind knows for absolute sure that I'm holding the 308 and not an ~06. I just know me and fear I would be grabbing the wrong ammo can(s) when heading out to either the range or hunting.......
You're not developing bad habits about clearing and checking firearms before traveling with them are you?
I like wood as well I understand the need for something that can survive in the field. I had an M1 with a laminated stock that I gave to my brother. Probably cheaper than a Bell and Carlson, still looks like wood but is much more stable than wood. I think Boyds makes these.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a Ram-Line that came with a T26 clone package, the pistol grip is definitely funky but other than that I have been well pleased with the stock set, fit is tight but not inordinately so and from what I have seen they are cheap. Customer service is good with Ram-Line, I called them explaining that I wanted to purchase another front handguard as the one I have is cut down for the T26, the nice lady took all my information and when I asked how much she said "nothing, it will ship out today", I had it in the mail 3 days later :D

If you can stand the funny shaped PG these arent a bad way to go for a beater.

Jeff

P.S. it has a very nice recoil pad (similar to LimbSaver) as well that brings the length of pull up a bit more for long armed folks.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
YO Metalhead!

if you read kuhnhausen's book on how to glass bed a Garand stock, they tell you that you want a 5/8" gap between the barrel and the front of the stock....

sounds like that's what you have.

garand stocks like downward pressure at the front.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank ya' gents for the input; No Djl~ no real bad habits ...yet :lol: I CAN say though in 20+ years of shooting....ONE time...I made it to the range with 5 guns and realized I forgot ammo for 2 of them!

JKH..... interesting the Ram line worked; as said here and noted on other threads~ I've had one hellacious of a bad time over the years with both my own and friends' ones; do you have a decent pic or set of pics of the beast in garb?

Delloro-

thanks, but methinks since it is astress area I want the 'real deal' and no filler. I could live with a short stock...if it was at the OTHER end :wink:

It's been unassembled, repacked in the box, just made a copy of the invoice~ and should be making it out Monday or tuesday whenever I can get to the ooops store. I dont mind filing a little, or even a lot on a $70 stock, but absolutely needing to fill in a huge gap? Nahhhh..... its way to short; its a POS IMO... so its going back.... YMMV; and if it does PLEASE let me know- I never thought DPMS capable of such inadequacy........

[Edit] Delloro...... re-reading what you've said- can you scan that page, that pic, or post the info without violating the copyright?

I Guesssssssssss, I mean I guesss ig thats the way its supposed to be I maybe should sit on this a couplemore days before it goes out. Its just the Barrel is tilting UPWARD as she sits in the stock with the trigger assembly in....... I just am not seeing how ANY downward pressure can be had with such a gap....

Metalhead

PS-- I will be Out of office/area until Sunday night but I appreciate the responses

·
Registered
421 Posts
MH,

I will endeavor to take pictures this weekend, currently it sits in the closet.

I have a love/hate thing with the synthetic stock, installed it seems cheesey but is solid, the lockup is great with proper downward pressure on the barrel so most likely any M1 will perform well whilst wearing it, its just not wood and the PG is skimpy for someon with large hands and rather flat in cross section. BUT it does work (at least this one does) and will take a beating, perfect to put on a post war rack grade or CAI, etc, beater rifle for hunting, it is lighter and provides a good gripping surface as well.

Have a good weekend

Jeff

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
in order to get the barrel down in the channel, you have to press down on it, right?

well, when you install this in the stock, and the front band is held down by the stock ferrule and the barrel is thus held in the channel, then the front band will be pressing down on the barrel. get it? I'll scan kuhnhausen's section on bedding. PM me an email addy with lots of room.

it's not you have to glass bed the synthetic - but when people do glass bed a wood stock, they want it to come out like your synthetic's bedding already is.

look at brownell's site, they sell a stock spacer to achieve the effect I think you already have: http://216.243.198.184/aspx/ns/store/pr ... aspx?p=832

·
Registered
421 Posts
MH,

Here are a couple shots of a CAI beater (well actually a nice rifle believe it or not :wink: ) wearing the RamLine stock set.

Length of pull is longer than a standard stock so if you have short arms it will be a stretch, recoil pad is comfortable, plastic doesnt feel strange either.

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
delloro said:
in order to get the barrel down in the channel, you have to press down on it, right?

well, when you install this in the stock, and the front band is held down by the stock ferrule and the barrel is thus held in the channel, then the front band will be pressing down on the barrel. get it?
look at brownell's site, they sell a stock spacer to achieve the effect I think you already have: http://216.243.198.184/aspx/ns/store/pr ... aspx?p=832
Hmmmm, nope; I cant even get the stock INTO the channel; but even saying I could~ the cutuout for the action comes up short and I cant even get the action in. There is a big huge gap between the end of the stock and start of the lower band,,,,,,,,

Metalhead

BTW~ thanks for the links and pics :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
MH,

I think there i some confusion, from what I am reading your DPMS stock is SHORTER on the front end so that the stock ferrule CANNOT engage the barrel band at all, correct?

That is definitely an untenable situation, send it back.

What do you think of the RamLine installed? See what I mean about the pistol grip area? It is somewhat funky but is useable.

Its too bad your DPMS stock is defective, at least it has a decent profile that looks and handles like wood and from what I understand is paintable, perhaps if they exchanged it the replacement might be fine.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JKH said:
MH,

I think there i some confusion, from what I am reading your DPMS stock is SHORTER on the front end so that the stock ferrule CANNOT engage the barrel band at all, correct?

That is definitely an untenable situation, send it back.
Correct; sorry my Garand-speak is still just leaving its infancy :oops: appoximately 1/4 inch to short- no way for it to engage the stock ferrule......

I like the look of the Ram line! :D Oh great- now I gotta make another decision! Ram Line or the B&C...........

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A pic is worth a thousad words

Ok, I re-pulled out the stock from packing box: here are some of the shots that should leave little doubt as why its a concern and goin' back!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
If you put the stock ferrule on, how large would that gap be?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll try to give her a go; just that much gap when I first tried fitting her on made me stop right there and gasp.

If'n it actually works I'll be amazed; if it dont ya owe me a pic of one them dang nice rifles of yours!!!!!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok _Sudden Decision

Garand purists turn off your computer now, look away...but whatever you do- DONT READ BELOW

Ok, I made the decision to smack 'er on....and it took some smacking but it is on :shock: and gap *appears* to be correct.

But now I cant even remotely get the trigger group's Finger goard to close down :evil: the heel is sitting high enough to fit a coupe~or ten~ business cards in there under the heel.

Ok, I've done and gone it- the stock ferrule is pretty much permantly attached!!!!!!

So now where must I sand & file to get the group down and latched?
I think I just permantly bought this stock :roll:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just had a brilliant flash. You know how some 308 Garands were made by shortening the rear of the .30-06 barrel by a half an inch and then putting it back on the reciever? I bet this stock is made to fit one of those gunsmith specials with the whole gas system moved back a half inch. That is why it is too short to work with a .308 Garand built with a normal length barrel.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts