Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Don't Taze my granny!
Police Tasered an 86-year-old disabled grandma in her bed and stepped on her oxygen hose until she couldn't breathe, after her grandson called 911 seeking medical assistance, the woman and her grandson claim in Oklahoma City Federal Court. Though the grandson said, "Don't Taze my granny!" an El Reno police officer told another cop to "Taser her!" and wrote in his police report that he did so because the old woman "took a more aggressive posture in her bed," according to the complaint.
Lonnie Tinsley claims that he called 911 after he went to check on his grandmother, whom he found in her bed, "connected to a portable oxygen concentrator with a long hose." She is "in marginal health, [and] takes several prescribed medications daily," and "was unable to tell him exactly when she had taken her meds," so, Tinsley says, he called 911 "to ask for an emergency medical technician to come to her apartment to evaluate her."
In response, "as many as ten El Reno police" officers "pushed their way through the door," according to the complaint.
I am waiting for confirmation of this tale. Right now this story doesn't pass the sniff test. I cannot imagine any LEO behaving in the manner described. There should be numerous police and EMS reports showing up in the next few days.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
If I was on the jury and that account is accurate, that department better have a BILLION DOLLAR LIABILITY policy.

Geoff
Who is an open minded and forgiving person..BUT!

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
This happened in December. I believe it is news now because a lawsuit was filed. There are 2 sides to every story... I'd really like to hear the one that justifies tasing a bedridden 86 yo woman in her own house in her own bed after cutting off her oxygen supply.
As for liability, assuming this account is accurate, I would find each individual officer personally liable for damages in the 7-8 figure range, as well as the chain of command, the training officers, the department and the city.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I have problems with huge monetary awards against the PD's when its just the taxpayers coming back to have to pay the losses...I would prefer that by statute, compensations for this kind of behaviors would come from the pay and retirement side of the ledger. Start taking raises and wages and retirement accounts away from the cops and suddenly, hey, this hurts when we Eff up like this...Suddenly the ones who get it start cleaning out the ones who don't,

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Unfortunately, you need for some of the large monetary awards to actually be paid out, because these cases are all handled on a contingency basis. That means the deep pockets have to be included, so the [s:1w0gniy2]sharks[/s:1w0gniy2] lawyers can get paid. If they don't think they are getting paid, they won't even bring the case.
However, when I say personally liable, I mean seizing the homes and garnishing the wages of the guilty.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Tim Burke said:
...However, when I say personally liable, I mean seizing the homes and garnishing the wages of the guilty.
So their wives and kids (who aren't guilty of anything) suffer? :ek:
I guess you could argue the officer should have thought about that before he transgressed the law,
There are two sides. I don't see an easy answer; firing the officer involved, or even harsher penalties, would not be out of line, so you could also argue that might damage the family.

Oh well. I hate it when police go bad. :twisted: :banghead:

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
TommyGunn said:
You betcha. The victim and her grandson weren't guilty of anything, and they got to suffer.

I guess you could argue the officer should have thought about that before he transgressed the law,
Precisely. Anyone who is so afraid of a bedridden, oxygen dependent, 86 yo woman taking a "more aggressive posture" in her own bed that he has to Taser her, despite being backed up by 9 armed colleagues, has no business being a police officer.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Anyone who is so afraid of a bedridden, oxygen dependent, 86 yo woman taking a "more aggressive posture" in her own bed that he has to Taser her, despite being backed up by 9 armed colleagues, has no business being a police officer.
Anyone that doesn't see this is blind and dumb. What was this guy thinking?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Tim Burke said:
TommyGunn said:
You betcha. The victim and her grandson weren't guilty of anything, and they got to suffer.

Precisely. Anyone who is so afraid of a bedridden, oxygen dependent, 86 yo woman taking a "more aggressive posture" in her own bed that he has to Taser her, despite being backed up by 9 armed colleagues, has no business being a police officer.
Tim ... I hope you realize I was in no way trying to defend the police who would act that way with regards to an 86 year old bedridden woman. My comment "I hate it when police go bad" was intended seriously.

I don't know that I would claim it's "fair" to the family of those officers if they were to lose these things mentioned .... I wasn't suggesting the officers should not be punished, or should not be sued .... sometimes [email protected] just happens, and it has to happen to rectify things and innocent people are hurt.

Well, I guess there's a reason why divorce laws exist . . . . :fineprint: :fineprint:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I think this is a first, but I really do disagree Tim.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Assuming that the facts are as stated the officers should be punished as throughly as possible which could certainly include termination but most states shield the officer from personal liability. My agency was obligated to defend me including payment of damages.

Obviously there are exceptional circumstances and I certainly see no justification for the use of any sort of force unless the agressive posture included a weapon. The families of the offending officer(s) are going to be indirectly punished but due process is needed to take a house... :ehsmile:

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
Assuming that the facts are as stated
Which is always an assumption in these sorts of things.

the officers should be punished as throughly as possible which could certainly include termination but most states shield the officer from personal liability.
I think what they did goes beyond making a mistake, and into criminal culpability. I had no issue with the officers' response in the the Rodney King case, and a couple of them of them went to prison.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I see no mention of the knife she was brandishing, or her threats to stab the officers, both of which appear in their testimony.

There are often two very different perceptions of incidents like this, especially when $ is at the heart of it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Oddbod said:
I see no mention of the knife she was brandishing, or her threats to stab the officers, both of which appear in their testimony.
Like I said. The original stories I saw didn't pass the sniff test.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts