Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snake's mention of the ODI Viking brings up a whole new topic and can of worms.

Many years ago I befriended the late Louis Seecamp and his son Larry.

It was very early in my career and the introduction of their little .32 prompted my editor to assign me to do a piece about the company and new gun.

The old man was Prussian to the core and bore a nasty scar down one side of his face on the Eastern front of WW 1. The Russian did not survive.

Seecamp came to this country after the war and began working in the firearms industry in "Gun Valley," CT.

He designed a double-action modification for the 1911 that had a small cult following The only production example was the ODI Viking.

Over the years I got a few of the guns and looked for a long time for a Viking to complete my collection. Finally found one in CA.

I really liked the old man and wrote what I thought was a good story. In those days the U.S. mule delivered stuff like that so I stuck it in the mailbox. In less than a week it came back with a rejection letter. No comment, no criticism just REJECT>

I was pissed and after a couple of days called the editor and ended up begging him to let me do a re-write. He grudgingly agreed.

I sweated blood and bullets over the new version and finally sent it in.

Didn't hear a word, but the very next issue of "GUNS" that came had the piece. I studied what appeared in print and not a single comma had ben changed from my original text.

The next year at the Shot show I sat with him and asked why he rejected the story.

"I knew you could do better."

The moral of this story is hero worship is only good in small doses.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I believe you mentioned that the test firing facility was a closet...

I have one of the pre CNC models that was accompanied by a nice note from Larry Jr.

Took me a year and a half to take delivery.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Walt, I remember seeing your Seecamp the first Gunstock I went to.

I always thought they were neat little guns. I know of two local LEO's who carry one for back up religiously.

So Charlie, was your second article very much different from your first? Or was your editor just bored and decided to mess with you a little?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was a powerful learning experience I will never forget.

Yes, it was different not so much in facts, but how I told the story was different and was much better IMO.

No the editor wasn't bored...he was teaching

the moral of the story is never gush

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Got it, Charlie. That's why I hate to so press release. And
staff insists on a lotta flowery words and praise.

I don't mind "selling" our department, I just think we can
make the point a little more subtley.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Charlie: I always liked your article on the Seecamps in the 1984 American Handgunner annual. I was fascinated by their compact .45 ACP and 9x19mm prototypes. They would have been the heat back in the mid-'80s, but I suspect the market would not be there today.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you sir...

The first Seecamp DA I got was an electroless nickel Commander. The DA conversion was very clever and actually used the original trigger to trip the sear. Unfortunately there was very little mechanical advantage available so the trigger was very heavy. After you got past the first shot it wasn't bad.

I was never able to get an accurate count of the guns Seecamp did but it was just a few hundred. Haven't seen one for sale in years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts