Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with http://www.doubletapammo.com/main_site/index.html? Please advise. Thanks. Harvey

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fernando:

There isn't a whole lot to choose from for 10mm factory ammunition. Much seems downloaded to .40 S&W performance. I don't handload these days, but a friend of mine does some for me occasionally. I have an S&W 1006, which I don't carry, and I should be receiving a 1076 within the next week or so.

Any and all thoughts from you would be welcomed.

Harvey

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
If you are looking for full house loads, there is still the Winchester 175 gr. Silvertip that Winchester rates at 1,290 fps. While I haven't run their stuff over a chrono in a few years, the Silvertip design at 175 grains and .40 caliber is a good combo. May sound "old fashion" but it works.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fernando:

Thanks for your response. I've used 175gr Silvertips in the past in my 1006. I checked some old logs and we chrono'd them at an average of 1188fps, which was pretty darn good. The only problem is finding them locally, so I guess some browsing is in order. Thanks again.

Harvey

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Charlie:

A friend of mine is bidding on a Delta Elite. Any thoughts on that pistol? I've heard both positives and negatives, but have never owned one myself.

(BTW, I bought a commercial 1076, but won't receive it for at least a week. I bought it from a dealer I have had good luck with in the past, and he says it's a winner, so we'll see.)

Any chance you might want to get rid of that original Norma ammunition?

Harvey

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
As I said, "the Delta Elite died". The slide stop broke and there was a crack in the frame after less than 1000 rounds of the Norma stuff. That was a very long time ago and just one gun.

I don't have much of the ammo left, not enough to shoot.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Charlie:

The negatives I have heard about the Delta were mostly in the areas of durability, and accuracy. You just reinforced one of the shortfalls, albeit in a one pistol sample. Thanks for the input.

My previous feedback to my friend was that if the price was right, I'd buy it as a collectable, but not a shooter. (I won't pass on your experience to him, however.)

Harvey

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I don't have a clue how many Deltas were made or if they have any collector potential.

One of the benefits that did come from it was that folks figured out they could cut out the rails on the left side above the slide stop. That's where they usually cracked. It really didn't hurt anything but guys often freak out if their frame is cracked.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Charlie:

A couple of years ago anything that said "Colt" on it was selling above its value as a collectible, but that seems to have settled out now.

I wouldn't want to invest in a Delta for the purpose of appreciation, as I think enough of them were made to reduce the rarity factor. And I'm perfectly happy with S&W 10mm pistols for shooters, so again this eliminates the Delta from my consideration.

My friend gave up on buying the Delta as the "buy price" was $1,000, and the bidding was getting close to that as well.

Harvey

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I think there is still a lot of truth to the "Colt" thing but I don't see it in much of the "new" stuff. For Government Models it is probably mostly for pre-series 70 pistols... and older than that for most revolvers except for SAAs.

·
Registered
973 Posts
From the prices I see on pre-70 Series Colts, I was beginning to think they were partially made of gold.

I see Delta Elites fairly often at gun shows. I suspect one could be bought for under $1,000.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pre-Series 70 Colts are expensive enough, but the remarkable thing is that the more recent Colt failures, like the Double Eagle and All American 2000, also are being shown at high prices. :roll:
Harvey

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Charlie:

I sold a NIB AA-2000 First Edition for $750 and a NIB Double Eagle Officer for $795 a year or so ago. Maybe the feeding frenzy is over?

Harvey

1 - 20 of 21 Posts