Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone remember all those civil defense videos about what to do in the event of a nuclear attack? Saw a South Park episode that reminded me of them and would like to find copies of them for future reference. :lol:

G

·
duck and cover

There was an independent film put out around 1983 by a bunch of anti-nuke turds (remember how "reagan is going to blow up the world"?) called "The Atomic Cafe"....it's got a lot of that stuff in it....along with good test footage.

One thing I will give the pinkos -- they didn't editorialize with narration at all in the flick. The clips just run on their own "merit"....subject to the editing decisions of the producers.

http://www.publicshelter.com/main/

·
Registered
869 Posts
Here's something very close to what you're after Seacowboys.
It's a big download - about a 30 minute B&W movie about the development of air defense missles. Gives an interesting flavor of the era. Shows the fear of Soviet bombers and nukes of the time. Kids hiding under desks and stuff. You'll like it I think. :) Hokey narration and everything.

http://www.redstone.army.mil/history/as ... erc_01.asf

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, just the ticket. Now I'll know what to do in the case of an attack :lol:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just find it amazing that the public swallowed all that tripe abot a picnic blanket or desk prtoecting you from a multi-maegato wahead or gamma rays and beta particles that will penetrate an inch or 2 of lead...

·
Registered
869 Posts
The idea behind getting under the desk was to protect from falling ceiling plaster, light fixtures, window glass, etc.

Any protection from flash can help protect the skin from "sun" burn. If you are in an exposed area within line-of-sight of detonation, any kind of "shade" can help. You might just be one of the lucky ones that makes it. Every edge helps.

G

·
I just find it amazing that the public swallowed all that tripe abot a picnic blanket or desk prtoecting you from a multi-maegato wahead or gamma rays and beta particles that will penetrate an inch or 2 of lead...
Any protection at all from the thermal pulse can mean the difference between a very painful burn or death, to no injury at all. The thermal pulse can reach out and burn you miles farther than the blast wave will reach. So remember, Duck And Cover. BTW, the book Nuclear War Survival Skills deals with all of this, and debunks many common "truths."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.