Gunhub.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded for a e2 forward grip but it didn't have screws or the piece that goes inside the stock, I want to mount it on a choat folder for my scout /squad (after 9/14) Wher can I find info on proper mounting of this grip and also how does the sling work with it? I do have an e2 sling.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll give it a try off the top of my head. Because I quickly removed the grip from my E2 stock and haven't looked back. The grip folds to the rear, you may have the parts that lock it folded, maybe not.

Since you are lacking the mounting screws, I'd guess that countersunk machine screws of the size to fit through the rail, backed up inside the forearm with those combo nuts which have a pointy-edged washer as part of the nut, would do. Probably need to inlet your mounting holes on the inside of the forend large enough to use a flat washer also, for strength. Your lack of the sheet metal heat shield should not be a problem. Some designs of stocks will need close attention to clearance issues with the op rod and op rod guide if you are going to be putting screws and nuts up through the forend.

Swung forward and in use, the grip is not particularly strong. The weakness is its hinge. The grip needs to be tightly bound to the sling swivel on the M2 bipod, you use the "extra" spring hook on the E2 sling to do this. The second hook on the E2 sling clips into the bottom portion of the grip. Now it is strong enough to use.

I've described a bit on how the E2 sling is deployed but couldn't describe more. There are sketches in the FM and TM of a properly slung E2 stock with bipod. Each time the handgrip is deployed from folded to the in-use position, the sling has to be hooked to the grip's rung, and tightened. Loosen and unhook to fold.

I'm not giving real encouraging news here. Do you have or want to clamp on an M2 bipod on about one of the worst locations you could put it, the gas cylinder? If you don't, I would not recommend putting your E2 grip on a Choate stock. Folded down for use, the grip needs to be slung up to a forward anchor point (bipod sling swivel.) Otherwise, the hinge is liable to break.

Quote from the PM comic book, p25: "Y'see, the tension of the sling from the bottom of the handgrip to the front swivel helps support the handgrip and keeps you from yanking her back hard enough to bust the hinge when you're firing." HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts