Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do prefer steel, no doubt. But I have to admit this is interesting. And MSRP is around $580, available in about 90 days.

I wouldn't mind seeing one up close...

EAA

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
One small glitch. It is not the FIRST polymer frame 1911. The was the short lived BUL from Israel sold by Kimber and Wilson.

That doesn't mean it isn't interesting though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Certainly is affordable. It's been a long time since I have competed with the 1911, I was just wondering if this polymer 1911 would be a good base for a competitive pistol. With it being lighter I can see the advantage of being much more comfortable for a carry, but not that sure of it's performance. I also would like to get my hands on one to play with to see what can be done to it for say a PPC course.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One small glitch. It is not the FIRST polymer frame 1911. The was the short lived BUL from Israel sold by Kimber and Wilson.

That doesn't mean it isn't interesting though.
Thanks for keeping me straight, Charlie. Strangely, I really don't remember a single stack polymer 1911. I've got a feeling that I just might need a few more terabytes of storage space. Wish Apple would hurry up with that gadget before I forget my wife's name (or some other potentially fatal bit of information). ;)

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
While interesting, I'm not sure what the advantage is? It's probably an ounce, maybe two lighter than an aluminum frame 1911; and I don't find anything wrong with aluminum frames. In fact, I downright love them. I'd love to have an aluminum frame full size, and I really wish someone would make a commercially available aluminum frame for those of us who like to build guns.

If the quality and performance is there, I see nothing wrong with this, but it's not something that excites me.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
I'd love to have an aluminum frame full size, and I really wish someone would make a commercially available aluminum frame for those of us who like to build guns.
Fed Ord made them in the '80s, and I built one. Nastiest shooting 1911 I've ever fired--I'd MUCH rather shoot a LW Commander. AFAIC it's definitely a "carry much, shoot as little as possible" gun.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Fed Ord made them in the '80s, and I built one. Nastiest shooting 1911 I've ever fired--I'd MUCH rather shoot a LW Commander. AFAIC it's definitely a "carry much, shoot as little as possible" gun.
Yeah I've built a couple of those. A friend had a LW full size from I wanna say Springfield some years ago, and I didn't find it disagreeable. But yeah, I like the LW Commander better; kinda makes more sense. A LW full size is for the guy who has everything:)

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
A LW full size is for the guy who has everything:)
Yeah, that's pretty much why I have one. ;) Today it pretty much lives in my bugout bag.

It's not a bad gun, it just seems to me to recoil way more than a 1911 should.:-?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Kimber version of the LW Commander is what I have and carry almost exclusively. The Super Carry Pro.

Kimber America | Super Carry Pro

Aluminum frame, rounded butt, 4" bull barrel, no bushing.

The only Commander I ever owned was a Combat Commander. Sure wish I still had it. :cry:

I am not fond of how the bushing-less system breaks down. Just kind of PITA if you ask me, But I am the first to admit that it is reliable and a whole lot more accurate than I am.

I really just want to examine one of the new EAA's. The molding looked kind of rough in the photos. Like to see if that was a problem they already addressed or the photos were deceiving.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
I really just want to examine one of the new EAA's. The molding looked kind of rough in the photos. Like to see if that was a problem they already addressed or the photos were deceiving.
I'd have no problem smoothing out or "refining" the finish of plastic. I'm pretty good at it. ;)

I noticed that the frame doesn't seem to have the A1 cuts behind the trigger. I could easily fix that. ;)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The Kimber version of the LW Commander is what I have and carry almost exclusively. The Super Carry Pro.

Kimber America | Super Carry Pro

Aluminum frame, rounded butt, 4" bull barrel, no bushing.

The only Commander I ever owned was a Combat Commander. Sure wish I still had it. :cry:

I am not fond of how the bushing-less system breaks down. Just kind of PITA if you ask me, But I am the first to admit that it is reliable and a whole lot more accurate than I am.

Terry, this makes the takedown easy
Kimber Take Down Made Easy - New Tool from NDZPerformance - YouTube

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
The BUL was a wide body so if they had said first single stack they probably would be right.

They came and went pretty fast but I did see some in a shop or two.

Kevin is right about the weight but I wonder if the recoil cushioning effect of the polymer would be noticeable.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Didn't a Bul contract failure to deliver kill off an importer about 10 years back? I disremember the name unfortunately.
Old age at 0447 hours take their toll.
Geoff
Who is now so curious and I have to go work the Hell Desk for 4 hours plus clean up...sigh..

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The BUL was a wide body so if they had said first single stack they probably would be right.

They came and went pretty fast but I did see some in a shop or two.

Kevin is right about the weight but I wonder if the recoil cushioning effect of the polymer would be noticeable.
I know that the recoil on my aluminum framed Kimber is a lot more noticeable than on my full size Raptor or the Colt 1991 I have. Not sure what the weight difference would be between the aluminum frame and the polymer. I'll do some digging and see if I can come up with some numbers.

Oh, and thanks for letting me know that I didn't have a massive brain dump (at least about polymer frame. Considering I walk around looking for my glasses when they're on the top of my head, it's really kinda reassuring. :p

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Rock River is also going poly. From The Firearm Blog:
http:///blog/2014/01/22/rock-river-arms-1911-poly/
"Rock River Arms is a company more well known for their AR-platform rifles, but at SHOT Show this year the company was showing off their polymer-framed 1911 pistol again. First displayed 2 years ago as a concept pistol, and possibly to determine market interest, it appears that RRA is ready to bring the polymer framed 1911 to market. Called the 1911 Poly this pistol aims to combine the proven 1911 design, with the lightweight benefits of modern polymer. The company is marketing the 1911 Poly as a modern twist on a timeless design."

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Didn't
Old age at 0447 hours take their toll.
Geoff
Who is now so curious and I have to go work the Hell Desk for 4 hours plus clean up...sigh..
Geoff, have as good a day as you can. And you are definitely not the Lone Ranger concerning age and early hours. I can't even speak English till about 0530 or so. ;)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd have no problem smoothing out or "refining" the finish of plastic. I'm pretty good at it. ;)

I noticed that the frame doesn't seem to have the A1 cuts behind the trigger. I could easily fix that. ;)
Wish I had some of your skills...my senior year Shop Teacher, after examining what was supposed to be a wooden candle holder I had tried to make on a lathe, told me I should be a butcher. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts