Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe the title don't describe it proper but thats what the ten year old would have said about the crud comin' oughta the 6-42 Remington barrel . OK maybe just a simple YUK :p .
Normal cleaning wasn't going very far so I broke out the big guns so to speak . A homemade electric bore cleaner that absolutely ressurected a High Standard barrel some time ago . The Remington shot pretty good (considering all the junk that was in that tube).
Starting it out , I had to go back and read the instructions about the polarity of the wires . I guess if I used this thing more that part would be easier . Negative side of battery to the rod in the bore , postive side to the reciever after you pour in the cleaner . I measured what I dumped out this time and it was about 25ml ( don't get no ideas about me switching to metric any time soon ). The mix was one part white vinegar , one part household ammonia and two parts water .
When I hooked the wires up , I thought there was a short somewhere because the flashlight was glowing so bright . I double checked all the coneections and with all being normal , I let it proceed with the dirty work . After and hour the light had just about went out , I'd had to add a little of the mix to the bore and a black scum had frothed out . :eek: Yippee , I'm done right ? Not so fast Maynard . The rod I took out of the barrel looked like it had spent time in a Kaintucky coal mine it was so black and cruddy . Good for the bore I think to myself , yeah well maybe , wipe it out and we will see .
I learned the this is not a good time to try and run a tight patch down the tube . It went through ..... barely . In the process it chased out Manno's goat farm too . never saw a hint of green or blue on the patch , just black lumps and gravy ( Eeuwey goowey ) .
Next up was the nylon brush and Kroil scrubbing . Lots of Kroil squirted . Lots of passes with the rod , let it set for an hour and wipe it out . Pristine new bore right ? I wish , scabs near the throat . Uh oh , I've seen this before . Wipe it out with carb cleaner and back to the electric .
An hour later , brown scum and light is dim again . Wipe it out , (this one's a YUK fer sure ) and Brown comes out . More Kroil , more brown , this is not going good . Or is it ?
Took it out with three shots , first was high next two were lower an inch apart :D Scabs or not , that's OK wit' me . Back to the electric , more black , more Kroil , more brown .... how much of the Greek countryside did they leave in here ? Back on the electric , the light glows dim for a few minutes so I dump the barrel and wipe again . Late sunday afternoon now and I gotta wrap this up . Five shots to an SR1 target four in the black and one opps , out in never never land . Barrel looks like it still has something clinging to the inside , I'll get a magnifier and look at it . It's got a couple dark spots just ahead of the throat but it may not be a problem for what I'm gonna use it for .

Still cleaning and fussing over it , buy hey , what can I expect out of a rifle that was made after my dad joined the service :lol:

Jack

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Sounds like the basis for an episode of "Fear Factor". :eek:

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After laying out real money for the rifle , yeah , I can see where ya would be afraid of the bore cleaning taking out the guts of the barrel :lol:

Jack

·
Registered
651 Posts
cleaning...

..just make sure to leave the "barber pole" stuff in the barrel.. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
jack i've got a couple of 1917s i might need to bring up to use your new fangled device on.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If those are the ones I saw at the Port Clinton Mecca and OM Arms Bazzaar . I think I'll hook 'em up to the battery on yer truck to clean 'em up :lol: O' course when I git done wit' dat , yer truck won't have 'nuff juice ta roll it over :eek: Yew don't mind walking eighty miles with clean rifles slung over yer shoulder do yuh ? 8)

Jack

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
nah jack i've got one of those orbital batteries. supposed to hold a charge real good. ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just use a 6/12 battery charger set on 6 volt. Works very well. I tried the 12 volt setting and the barrel got hot in less time so I backed it off to 6 volt. The goo does boil out. I max the time at 35 minutes per cleaning. I use several pieces of heat shrink tubing as insulators on the part of the rod inside the bore.

Bob K

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bob ,
That's something I hadn't thought of . I got a one amp trickle charger that will do that , save on batteries too :)

Jack

·
Registered
319 Posts
Jack, 1 amp should work fine, just keep an eye on the barrel temperature.

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts