Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlie, I'm having an Ejection problem with my Pro Carry II and I can't, for the life of me, figure it out. About three or four of every seven empties head straight for my forehead. Granted, I am left-handed but, I checked the tension on the Extractor and it's right and the contour on the nose of the Commander-style Ejector looks right. I need a fresh head to think about what could cause this.I know I'm missing something but can't figure out what it is.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Has the extractor hook been properly tuned/reshaped?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
It has to be B flat...

Seriously though 99% of the time your problem is a matter of extractor tension and generally the case is not being held long enough to get a good hit from the ejector.

This is one of those things that can usually be fixed in minutes but is best done at the range.

Since you have a new gun I'd call Kimber

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's just the thing Snake, Charlie, I beveled the hook, rounded the flat, adjusted the depth and made sure the firing-pin stop was positioning the Extractor right. Even checked the tension with the slide off and a loaded round held by the Extractor against the breechface. Was able to slightly wiggle the slide in all directions without the round falling off. I'm thinking maybe I need to move the Extractor closer to the firing-pin, stone a little off of the locator front-edge. Only thing I haven't tried.

I'm not real crazy about sending it to the manufacturer and having it gone for six weeks. Right now, at least until I get a check from the insurance company for the stolen guns, it's the only handgun I have other than the PA-63.

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Okay, next thing I'd try is replacing the ejector with a standard GI unit. I've never seen any advantage to the Commander extended units anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Sarge none of those things address the issue and "tuning" an extractor is simply a tool for extracting money.

Increase the tension by putting the hook end between vise jaws and then pulling the other end a bit in the same direction as the hook. In other words if the hook is facing you pull the back end in the same direction. The extractor is really just a spring so you won't actually see or feel a change but when you put it back in the slide you want to need to put just a bit of lateral (outward) push to get it to slip into the hole.

It is simply something you do by the seat of your pants. I like to do it where I can shoot the gun and observe the ejection pattern.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I'll try a little more tension. Then, if that doesn't work, I'll try shaving some off the ejector nose. Never liked Commander-Ejectors anyway. I got a place closeby to test it Charlie, let you guys know.
Thanks alot, this has me baffled.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
FWIW – This problem is common with auto pistols that generate a good deal of muzzle flip. You’ll notice that when you have an iron grip the problem probably begins to go away. It’s always good to have a good firm grip on your pistol, but that can be taken too far if that grip leads to fatigue or a shake when holding. See if a more solid grip helps first, and if it does, do some self evaluation. Either the grip you’ve been using for years is just fine, and the gun needs a little tuning, or maybe you’re like me, and your grip has softened up over the years, and it’s time to start squeezing those “stress balls” to firm up some forearm muscles.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never thought of that Kevin, although I don't think the flip is that bad. I'll try it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jeez! I have a circa 1995 Springfield Mil-Spec, stock out of the box except for the grips. Shooting Star mags and some others. Never tweaked anything. Never a burp, and it's one of the tightest 1911's I've seen. Another in Sub Compact, "Loaded" . . . same thing, boom, boom, boom. Just like John Moses designed them.

But then I suppose some in these pages have nothing better to do than obsess. :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts