Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I picked up the "Legacy Edition" cd of Sgt. Presley's first post-Army album, "Elvis is Back", which also includes his subsequent album, "Something for Everybody". I'm listening to the 2 cd set now as I piddle around, and I'm reminded that, whatever else you might say about him, Sgt. Presley, at his best, was just about the finest damn singer who's ever stepped up to a microphone. The man could flat out sing, just about any kind of music he cared to try his vocal cords at. Absolutely unmatchable.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
I wasn't a fan of all his music, but there's no denying his voice had a purity of tone that is very, very rare. Sinatra had it. Babs has it, a very, very few others. Oddly enough--and don't laugh--but on occasion, Willie Nelson has demonstrated such a trait.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Willie is a heck of a singer, and surprisingly versatile, too. Elvis did too many crappy songs, for movies, etc., but with good material he was incomparable. Speaking of Sinatra, Elvis took a break from recording the songs on this set to travel to Miami to appear on the Sinatra special. The video of the two of them trading off verses on "Witchcraft" and "Love Me Tender" is priceless....

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Funny you should mention Elvis. I saw him at the local mall this past weekend. He was eating a Philly Cheese steak sandwich!

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Joe Forte said:
Funny you should mention Elvis. I saw him at the local mall this past weekend. He was eating a Philly Cheese steak sandwich!
:rotflmao:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Noooo...it it'd been E it would've been peanut butter and banana. All kidding aside, if you like Elvis at all, pick up the new "Elvis is Back" Legacy Edition. You won't be disappointed. His bluesy version of "Reconsider Baby" (with Boots Randolph smokin' on saxophone) is worth the price of the set by itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts