Gun Hub Forums banner

En Bloc Clips

9K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  commodore 
#1 ·
I parked a couple dozen of the rusty left-over clips from last year's CMP order this evening.

They turned out pretty well, & I saw the following markings:

BRW1
BRW2
BRW4
BRW7
DAQ
IS3
W4
SA

Mostly varying flavors of BRW, but 6 SA, 2 DAQ, 1 IS3 & 1 W4 (Winchester?)

I still have a couple dozen of the rusty clips to go. Will strip & park them soon.

#3 ·
I use a $9 hot plate from Wal-Mart, a SS pot & Radocy zinc phosphate parkerizing solution.

Got the idea & solution type from JAS, who as done some really nice work with it.

#4 ·
Quagmire said:
I parked a couple dozen of the rusty left-over clips from last year's CMP order this evening.

They turned out pretty well, & I saw the following markings:

BRW1
BRW2
BRW4
BRW7
DAQ
IS3
W4
SA

Mostly varying flavors of BRW, but 6 SA, 2 DAQ, 1 IS3 & 1 W4 (Winchester?)

I still have a couple dozen of the rusty clips to go. Will strip & park them soon.
BRW= Borg Warner
DAQ= Dominion Arsenal Quebec
IS= International Silver
W= Wallace
SA= Springfield armory

Winchesters are marked WRA . Out of 800 clips I got from CMP I found one VERY rusty WRA in the group. Most were BRW. TJR

#6 ·
Thanks guys, I was afraid that W4 marked clip wasn't Winchester. Oh well...

Why all the number variations for the BRW clips?

#7 ·
are the SA clips uncommon at all?

#8 ·
The number variations probably identify the the die the clip was stamped in, not the press. I used to build high speed progressive dies for a living. When a die becomes dull or otherwise gets out of spec. it needs to be "serviced". Since this service can take several days to a week or more, especially if there is damage to the die, one or more identical dies may be available to go in to the press to get production back up within hours or even minutes. In the case of your BRW's, there may be 7 dies that are used interchangeably in 3 or 4 presses. If #4's start getting out of spec. and you know the #4 die is in press #3, you shut down press #3 and pull die #6 off the ready shelf and take die #4 out and send it to the die shop for service. Many high production stamped parts are made this way.

#10 ·
delloro said:
WW2 SA with the large thin lettering are pretty rare. Late SA with small thick letters and with lines above and below or both are as common as they come. WW2 borg warners which were marked BW instead of BRW are rare enough that I can't find one :? and I have clips from communist China,the Netherlands,Italy,Israel, and all over the world. Any body sitting on a few they want to trade 10 to 1 for new clips?? I could also use:

Fb
Fc
Fd
MAS
L&H
TF&S
C
And one marked DANLEY on the side. As I said I will trade 10 new clips for any one marked like these. TJR

#11 ·
TJR,
This is very interesting. You don't by chance have a list of the various Markings/ Makers name/ Country of origin that you could share with the rest of us uneducated En Bloc users. :wink: Also a "Rarity Rating" on a 1 to 10 scale would be useful. It might turn up some jewels for your collection and prevent a rare clip from being employed for common usage due to a lack of knowledge.

#12 ·
there is a spreadsheet I got from jouster a long time ago. it may still be there.

#14 ·
All this talk about the various EnBloc makers made me curious so I went through my stash of clips just to see what I might find. Lots of BRW with numbers 1-6 and DAQ. In the photo I have a few SA marked with no line, line above. line below and lines above and below. One each WRA and IS2. I just may have to start a collection like trobertson5-0.

[IMG=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/Oryguner/Rifles/EnBlocs.jpg[/IMG]

#16 ·
trobertson5-0 said:
delloro said:
WW2 SA with the large thin lettering are pretty rare. Late SA with small thick letters and with lines above and below or both are as common as they come.
OK, mine has small, thin SA letters, no lines. whatup?

#19 ·
Here is the only one of interest that i found. All my clips are from KA ammo, and i have a lot of them. There were a lot of BR-Ws and DAQs, a few SA with lines, a medium amount of IS, among various others. I think the koreans refinished the clips at some point, some were downright illegible.

[IMG=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v352/josh_v1982/M4%20bayonet/PICT1024.jpg[/IMG]

#20 ·
liftrat22 said:
Are the unmarked Danish or SA? I thought the Danes were marked H.A.? Went through mine a few weeks ago; lots of BR-Ws, IS 1&2s, some various SAs, and 1 H.A. , some AGE1s, AMP1s, and AEC3s. Oh, here we go again.
Danish clips will be either MBZ,HA,L&H,or blank. SAs can be blank as well. It's pretty easy to tell USGI from Dane clips. Every Dane clip I have ever seen has a very dark black park, USGI are all grey.

It is also not uncommon for clips to be VERY lightly marked and almost unreadable even when new. TJR

#21 ·
Stripped & reparked 93 clips this afternoon. :shock:

I've got ~ 1/3 of them wiped down now, ready for use. All but a handful of the ones I've finished this evening have been BRW 1 clips, with a few BRW 4s as well as a few blank clips.

I'll finish wiping down the remainder tomorrow night, but I expect the rest will be mostly BRW as well.

#22 ·
I just got an order from J&G Sales for a hundred enbloc clips. I only opened it and picked around the top of them some. Seems like a mix off all the common types, I think all are USGI in once used condition, but they don't look like they were ever used. No rust and 99.9% park. Only wear looks to be from rattling around in the box.

It takes what 800 rds to fill 100 enbloc clips? Time to head to north store and stock up on ammo.

#24 ·
Tim's Enbloc Clip List

Springfield Armory (Springfield, MA).............. SA, or blank

Winchester Repeating Arms Co.(New Haven, CT).......WRA

The Stanley Works, New Britton, Ct.................S or SW

All Metal Products Co.(Wyandotte, MI)............. AMP

Wade Electric Products Co. (Sturgis, MI).......... WEP

Northwest metal Products Co.(Seattle, WA)..........NW

Borg-Warner (Spring Division,Bellwood, IL).........B-W (WWII Numbers 1-10)

Borg-Warner (Spring Division,Bellwood, IL).........BR-W (Post War Numbers 1-8)

R. Wallace & Sons Mfg. Co.(Wallingford, CT)....... W

Fedders Mfg. Co., Inc.(Buffalo, NY)............... f (letter added to identify tool ie. fB)

International Silver Co .(Meriden, CT)............ IS

Lerio Patent Cup Co.(Mobile, AL).................. C

Aggressive Engineering Corp.(Anaheim, CA)......... AEC(commercial),AGE(military contract)

Haerens Ammunitionsarsenale (Copenhagen, Denmark). HA

Mourik & Ball, Zeist (Zeist, Netherlands)......... MBZ

Barry L. Miller Engineering Inc.(Irvine, CA)...... BLM

Thomas French & Co. Ltd.(Manchester, England)..... TF&S (1950's production)

Julius Maurer (Oberstein, Germany)................ JMO

Manufacture D'Armes St.Etienne(St.Etienne, France) MAS

Stanley Works (New Britian, CT)................... S

Israel Military Industries Ltd.(Israel ).......... IMI

Dominion Arsenal Quebec (Quebec, Canada).......... DAQ

Italian .......................................... LP

Italian or Danish ................................ L&H

Danly Machine Co., Chicago, Il.................... DANLY (Stamped on side of clip)

Nationalist Chinese .............................. C*

Nationalist China ................................ 58, 59

Serini France, France or Switzerland ............. S.F.

Metaalwaren Fabrik Tiburg, Tiburg Netherlands .... MFT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.