Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello there folks...i juat am wondering how many of you own a enfield. i have a1943 Canadian Longbranch Num4MK1 and i love it...i have gotten matching longbranch bayonett and a canadian 1943 sling for it... this gun has been my favorite rifle for many years. i also own other milsurps that i like also... 1900 m96swede (mint condition) m91/59 mosin nagant.. i am going on a pig hunt soon in the cali S.F.bay area and im thinking about using one of these guns.....can any of you help sway my opnion on one of these...i know all will be good to go against pigs...so any help will be fun and appreicated(might need spell check for that)hehe thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
The cartridge is plenty good, as long as you have some sort of expanding-bullet ammo. A bit more "oomph" than a .30-30, but a similar trajectory.

It's all up to your skill with the iron sights...

:), Art

·
Registered
123 Posts
Speed- I also have a small collection of milsurps, and my newest one happens to be a 2-groove No. 4 Mark 1* Long Branch. I just found it a few days ago in a local small town gun store, and it's a real nice example- the best Lee Enfield I've seen in a long time. Unlike the last 2 L-Es I found and unfortunately bought, this one actually shoots. I'm going to make up some .303 loads this weekend, and will take it to the range for some accuracy testing now that it's got a scope on it. I tend to suck with iron sights, so a scope is a must for even informal accuracy work. The Lee Enfields are great rifles, and the .303 is a really nice cartridge.

I also have a WWII Kar 98 Mauser, a Yugo Mauser, a Mosin Nagant 91/30, a Swiss Schmidt-Rubin, an '03 Springfield, and a .308 French MAS 39. I shoot them all, and really get a kick out of them. Fun rifles to shoot, and good conversation starters at the range.

As for pig hunting, the Mosie is a bit long for that work. The L-E handles better and has a much faster action in case you need a follow up shot. Pigs can be nasty. I'd stick to a heavy bullet, though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
if i was going to hunt with a Military rifle, it would have to be my old 1903A3 .30-06 becuase of the increased power, the .303 is comparable to a .30-30, or .307 winchester, not a whole lot of power

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have two Mk1No4's. One was my first deer rifle. It put them down with authority. I never had the problems with having to track them after making good shots that my brother did with his .30-30. I don't know as much about them as I ought to, though. After I get done with this .308 PSS kick I'm going to have to do some reading.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've always thought of the .303 Brit as more a cousin of the .308, not the .30-30. Check a reloading manual.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
I recently did some blasting on an old refrigerator and the 303 proved to be a much more effective round than the 7.62x39 rounds. I was shooting my own handloads and the 180gr SP had better penetration and did more damage. Trajectory may be close to a 30/30 but it tends to be a heavier bullet traveling 200-250fps faster.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
.303 shoots like a pussy cat... yet has good balistics for social work.
Get an Enfield and you'll have a great rifle.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Well I'm a new poster on this forum, but I've been over on BR for some time, so I'm not a newbie. I've got a couple of different enfields and enjoy shooting them, often using cast bullets as well as jacketed. I like the way my friend refers to them as "battle clubs". That is what they are. They aren't precision target rifles, although some can give a pretty good accounting. They aren't hunting rifles, although they can do well on the score with the proper ammo. But the are rugged dependable, easy to shoot rifles that just do a good job. What more can anyone ask?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hello. I like mine quite well. I was fortunate enough to find a new No. 4 Mk II or is it the other way around; I aways mess up on the nomenclature, and had it made into a sort of "scout rifle" for close shooting.

Last year I took part in a game management thing where a property was overriden with whitetail doe and collected a couple with my Enfield. One was shot using Hornady factory 150-gr. JSP and the other with a Sierra 150-gr. Spitzer, but both were in the 2500 ft/sec range so the Sierra "behaved" nicely.

[IMG=left]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/p0be86115afa4901a6f0a0de8b1fdc3bd/fa8cef49.jpg[/IMG]
Not a big doe by any means, but good eatting.

I've used it on feral hogs with no problems in "stopping" and find that for most purposes here in Texas, it is plenty. The thing handles quickly and groups better than expected.

Best.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
A No. 4 Mk I was my first military surplus rifle purchase when I was 16. I bought it over the counter at a local department store in 1966 for $18.95 in the days when people didn't think teenagers were all serial killers if they wanted a firearm.

It had a replacement stock but looked beautiful. Although not NEARLY original, it was my first rifle and it will stay with me as long as I'm around. Has a nice micrometer rear sight.

As most of the BR people know, I tend to run toi Springfield 1903s - I have nine of them!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have an as new No4 Mk1. It shoots fantastic. I bought it for the princely sum of $79 about 10 years ago.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The 303 is very similar ballistically to the old 30 U.S cartridge .(30-40 krag) It is a very reliable deer and man killer and has been so for well over 100 years. The Lee _Enfields can be very accurate if the bores are not grossly oversize as many are. I have heard that during ww1 it was said the Americans had the best target rifle,the Germans the best hunting rifle and the brits the best fighting rifle.There may be some truth to that! :D

·
Registered
99 Posts

I own several and there is no comparison to the 7.62x39 except bullet diameter. My handloads keep up with the .308, and as far as factory ammo, try some Canadian instead of the wimpy, low pressure American ammo.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just checked, I have 8 303s in three styles of rifles dating from 1919 to 1945. The 303 round is closer to a 308 than a 30-30. The Brit army snipers used the rifle and round well in the 90s. I like them.
Gunseller

1 - 15 of 15 Posts