Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here know anything about SMLEs in general and No. 5 Jungle Carbines in particular? I snogged one CHEAP at a yard sale today. It's not collector grade and never will be but that's okay with me; for what I paid for it I could almost afford to hang it on the wall. It's missing a couple pieces and I have a couple questions about what I need and if it's safe and so forth if anyone knows about them; won't bother if there's no response.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've got a No.4 Mk1 which is the basis of the No.5 Jungle Carbine. I really like it. Almost snagged a No.5 a few years ago at a funshow for around $175. Already had the No.4 so I "thought" about it too long.

What do you want to know? I'll try to help if I can.

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a No. 4 too. Nice rifles!

Anyway, my most important question is this: The thing is missing the bolt head. The rest of the bolt is there, including the firing pin, which is now of course just hanging in space. I think it's a simple matter to replace the bolt head but I understand they're available in three different sizes. How do I know which one to order?

Also, how does the fore-end stock come off?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I have a #5 carbine. Nice rifles, They are getting expensive though. Taking the wood off can be time consuming. To get the forend lower wood off you will need to remove the band off the front and take the top wood off. Then remove the trigger group. lastly you may have to remove the butstock or at least loosen it because the screw that holds the butstock on sticks clean through into the back of the forend lower wood. It should drop off the bottom of the rifle at this point. For the bolt head it is kinda trial and error. normally you would start with the "0" or shortest bolt head and get your headspace checked. From there you may have to get a longer bolt head, they are rated from 1-4 with 4 being the longest and also hardest to find. The 303 brit headspaces on the rim so you should also make shure that the gunsmith also check chamber legnth along with the headspace.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would do a search for enfield forums, it is true they headspace on the rim but the standard commercial gauge ie go, no-go ,field run smaller than the military ones. I have always wanted a #5 that they looked "bad". remember to vote early and vote often

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A $10.75 bolt head is cheap if that's all I need to get this gun shooting--I only paid $50 for the thing. (The stock's been sporterized and the receiver drilled for a scope mount, but it IS a genuine No. 5 with matching SN on the magazine!) The trick is knowing which bolt head I need. Been trying to take a measurement between the rear of the barrel and the bolt body with a dial caliper but I can't seem to get a consistent reading--if I could, I'd know what I need.

Ah shucks oh well, there are two gun shows here in the next two weeks, maybe I'll find someone there with bolt heads and/or headspace gauges.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
You can also try Springfield Sporters They have lots of parts for the enfields. Bolt heads starting around 6 bucks. The stocks on the No5 looks sporterized to begin with, Here is a picture of mine
http://home.comcast.net/~vf1000ride/enfield1.jpg

Sunray, they did actually make a #4 oversize bolt head but it was rare and only used for field replacement of a bolt head once the gun was bad off, the barrel would have been replaced to correct the situation whenever it made it into a higher maintenance depot.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have one that's not import maked.

It's an great rifle, but I find the sight stink. I am so used to the sights on an M1, I think all others maybe ruined for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another good source for Enfield parts is:

http://www.thedealershowroom.com

Number three bolt heads are hard to find and expensive, I would start with a No. 1 or No. 2 and go from there.

If you can get to a big gunshow, lots of parts dealers stock boltheads and have headspace guages just for doing what you need done.[/url]

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very excellent site, MG, many thanks for the link!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
:D I have no Parts but here is a Pic of my Rifle:
[IMG=left]http://www.digitex.net/ericp/take008.jpg[/IMG]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts