Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen, I have seen the light.........I have been to the mountaintop, and I know what I must do. I just got back from icarumba's webpage, which I believe is [email protected]. Having ruined my keyboard from drool, I came to realize this truth..........If you are not quite happy with your rifle, there can only be one answer..........................you must BUY MORE RIFLES....................I guess the answer was there all along, I just wasn't ready to see it.............

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Well, Jim, there's two schools of thought. One is the techie's response whereby you change ammo, fix or otherwise modify a rifle that isn't performing up to your standards.
The other is the one you espouse, buy another. Not that your point is invalid. It's just that unless you have to sell one to be able to afford another, which is sad, you'll still have one rifle you don't trust/like.
By the by, [email protected] is an e-mail address. Not a web site. S'ok. I'm a techie. Do most of my own smithing, make my own holsters and still have more than one rifle.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I will be diving into the Garand also. When I started with pistols, I was a newbie, and now I can do a trigger job on a 1911 in my sleep. But the garand is such a masterpiece of simplicity, there doesn't seem to be a heck of alot to them.......I have heard: New Barrel, Glass Bedding, NM sights, trigger job, and don't clean them too often. That guy who shoots in the trials (I don't know the actual name) at 100yds., 200 yds., and then 600yds. only cleans his rifle once a year. I don't think that I will get that hard-core. I enjoy cleaning my guns almost as much as shootin them I just appreciate a fine piece of machinery, i think........

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, I agree with you 100%, Mr. Grandpa Dude........and what better way to learn than to dive in head first. I used to make Army tanks before the plant closed down, and my foreman would come and give me a job for the day. I would complain, "But, Orville, I never did that job before, I ain't sure how to do it....." His reply: "you'll know all about it after you're done." I'm looking forward to doing a little tech stuff on these rifles......I just hope i don't blow my head off by mistake. Happy shooting!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
As long as ya don't git crazy with the ammo ya feed it and the bolt locks up fully . You ain't likely to blow yer head off unless to got it pointed in the wrong direction ( that'd be you in dis here case ) .
Simple ? yeah the Garand is once ya got it figured out . Mine is one of those that gets cleaned real good once a year unless it gets rained on real hard . Swab the bore and add a little grease otherwise and it runs just fine .
I was out shooting some offhand practice with the 308 that DGR made up for me . The light was at my back and using South African ball I managed a 179 ... I was happy 8)

Edited ; Well I tried to get back into photobucket and clean it up but I think the site is down or something :(

Jack

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cleaning

Wow, what a great collection. Now, you're the second guy who said not to clean these suckers but once a year. Forgive me, I'm a newbie, so is this the way all you guys do it? So, what, you just maybe run a bore-snake a few times, clean the bolt-face with a q-tip, re-grease and place it back away (In my case, next to the dining room table, prominently displayed). How often do you dis-assemble the bolt? I've been taking mine apart after every shoot, and there's always a ton of crud in the holes that the springs fit into. And, there's always a heck of a lot of crud in the groove that goes aroung the gas cylinder lock. And, what about the gas cylinder and the end of the op-rod? That's always full of crud, and in my case, full of corrosive Korean ammo schmuck.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hey! who's this "dumbass" Chris guy? :wink:

Just spent the day updating the site... I added a Dane page and a couple others.

anyway... once you get that 1st M1 delivered to your door... it's sooo HARD to stop! :lol:

and Jack, why don't I have your pics posted? hmmm nice!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried to post pictures on this site and on the M1Garand.net site, but alas, I am not technically proficient enough to accomplish this task. I f one takes pictures with a digital camera, and then places the 3 1/2 inch disc with the pictures into the computer, what is the actual technique for then transferring the images contained on said disc to the postings on the forums/websites? (Pardon my lack of experience)

·
Registered
697 Posts
janitorjim said:
on the M1Garand.net site, but alas, I am not technically proficient enough to accomplish this task. I f one takes pictures with a digital camera, and then places the 3 1/2 inch disc with the pictures into the computer, what is the actual technique for then transferring the images contained on said disc to the postings on the forums/websites? (Pardon my lack of experience)
For my M1garand.net site... you have to email me your pictures.
Once you get them downloaded to your computer (hardrive) put them into a folder where you can find them easy.
Open up your email program and compose a letter... find the attachment button in your email and search for the M1 pictures you put into that "easy" to find folder you just saved them into. then title your email to me "M1 pics" or something like that. most people write a tiny little story about theirs and I post their little write-up along with the pics. Sometimes the guys have to send multiple emails for the amount of pics they send me.
I do all the resizing and editing before posting, this sometimes take me a few days... lately it's taken me a few weeks :cry: BUT if you can get this all done and sent to me within the hour (now) then I can probably get them up today.

[email protected]

·
Registered
697 Posts
oh yeah... there are many other free picture hosting sites on the net you can maintain yourself. Most guys use these & are fairly easy to use, but I can't think of any right now?

Posting to this site, you take that web address of a certain picture and use those buttons at the top (message body) just below "subject" titled "Img"

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
the cleaning issue is more for match grade guns. you want to take the receiver out of the bedded stock as little as possible. this will increase the life of your bedding. of course if you shoot inthte rain you must clean afterwards to get the water out. hoever i have several M1s but i only shoot 1. i clean this one every few months but do a complete clean about one a year or so. this year i've been shooting a lot of 22 so cleaning the M1 isn't necessary.

for M1 rifles in long term storage it is recommended to store is such a way that you take the pressure off hte trigger gaurd. this will help prevent compression of the wood that hte trigger group locks up against.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the tips....I especially like the one about taking the pressure off the trigger assembly. That makes total sense

1 - 13 of 13 Posts