Gunhub.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found another M3 trench knife...blade marked Imperial. Darndest thing, the blade is bent...At the guard. It just angles about 3 degrees or so from the handle when looking at it edge on.

How could that happen, this is hardened steel. Just to check I put it in a vice and bent the blade back and of course it sprung right back to its 3 degree angle. As good hardened steel should.

Could it have been like this since it was made??? I can't see how this could happen in the field. :?:

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Could have happened when they staked the pommel. That takes a pretty good strike.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably right. There is NO way to bend it like this with field use, it would snap before it would take a set.

It definitely does not effect the performance, so I can see it making it past an inspector. but I have not seen this in my others...I have four now.

Interesting though. :wink: :)

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Only 4?! Audie, you're an amateur! (Just kidding) I've got at least one by each maker and have a complete set of the M6 scabbards too. But I'm staying away from the M4s. Only have 2 of those and that's enough for me.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
And there are anywhere from 2 to 7 variations on each. Blade dated, blade marked, guard marked, name change, number of handle grooves, etc....Can get very challenging.

·
Registered
10 Posts
howdy, just read your thread and it jarred the old brain cells, I had a K bar , wore it in the field always, carried the m-47 dragon so my TO weapon was a 45 I had the K bar on my web belt just aft of the holster, over time blade was bent at same angle, from my as_ , from sitting, riding etc., can and does happen !

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
That often occurs because the blade is tempered, but not the shank. Many knives are made this way so that it doesn't snap when you try to pry with them.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here is a nice group of collectables including the aforementioned M3...the Jacket is an At the Front repro (nice copy)...stipes and 3rd ID insignia are real...the leather is repro...all else is period.

I cannot find decent leather....most of it is rotten that I run into. :cry:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Come on Audie, you know as well as I do that if you want good real leather, you gotta shell out big bucks! I know it hurts, but real leather is tough to find in decent condition. I should know. I've got all six M6 scabbards and only one is in poor condition. Plus I've got original leather for mu 1917 S&W .45 revoler and both my 1911 and 1911A1 colts. (ouch/sob!)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am so embarrassed. :ek:

I have to desaturate my pics because of new leather and old guns.

have any period P41 jackets??? Now those could be hard to find.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Nope....don't collect uniform items, just firearms and accouterments.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts