Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably the most hilarious, yet incredibly profound line in the Bible, combining both elements in a blast of God's Wisdom. It just goes to show how the more things change, the more they stay the same. And in looking around at the American Carnival Culture, along with Clockwork Orange youths that we have, it rings just as true as when Aaron said it thousands of years ago. I just sat down to do some Sabbath Day reading, now in my 28th reading of the Bible, and thought I'd have this laugh with you. Hey, you're the only people collectively I can bring this up with. Oh sure, there's a couple close friends in the NYC area, a couple relatives in Puerto Rico, but on the collective ideological front, this web site is it for me.

It's also an interesting example of how teamwork can fail, when valuable components are separated from one another. Moses didn't want the job of Israel's leader, but God twisted his arm, sort of made him an offer Moses couldn't refuse, because He's God, and He can talk to people that way. Moses was a lousy public speaker, so God said okay, your brother Aaron will be your Ari Fleischer dude, just go take office already. So, here's Aaron without Moses, because Moses went up on the mountain to get the Ten Commandments, and the people get a little out of hand. Aaron without Moses is still a great speaker, but not a great leader, and they get a little intimidating.

Exodus 32:24, four different versions:

"So I told them, 'Whoever has any gold jewelry, take it off.' Then they gave me the gold, I threw it in to the fire, and out came this calf!"
New International Version, 1973, 1978 by International Bible Society

And I said unto them, Whosoever hath any gold, let them break it off. So they gave it to me: then I cast it into the fire, and there came out this calf.
King James Version, 1982, International Bible Society (Printed in England)

And I said to them, Who has any gold? They broke it off and gave it to me: then I threw it in to the fire, and there came out this calf.
The Jerusalem Bible, 1977, Koren Publishers, Jerusalem, Israel

"And I said to them, 'Whoever has any gold, let them break it off.' So, they gave it me, and I cast it in to the fire, and this calf came out."
New King James Version, 1982, by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Oh, ohhhhhh, dear me, there aren't enough emoticons to deal with the imagery of this.

And since this is 1941, with a twist, it is SO appropriate for this nation, this "once great republic."

First, you have a bunch of people going wild because the authority figure, the leader leaves, almost like ohhhhhh, if one were to pick a modern day example, like having an empty suit in the White House. Then, you have a society who doesn't want to believe in something they can't see or hear, etc., because they've become too sophisticated and thrilled with themselves for such trite nonsense. Kind of like kicking God out of society, not just ignoring God, but doing like we did a few years ago, booting God 58 yards through the uprights, go, get out of here, stop interfering in our lives. Then, all kinds of excuses when people get caught, nobody at fault, I mean, pick your own regional dialects, Noo Yawk Italian Mobsters, you name it, same story, same excuses since the beginning of time.

Whut??!?!?! I didn't do nuffin', Looie and Tony wuz gettin' outta hand, people wuz gettin' wild, nobody knew what wuz goin' on, . . ."

. . . etc., etc., etc. Yeah, I took all dere jools, troo it intuh da fiuh, an', an', . . .

OUT CAME THIS CALF!!!

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

ALL BY ITSELF, MAGIC!!! Rings, bracelets, anklets, ornaments, you make a fire, who made the fire anyway, were they using the fire that was formerly for marshmallow roasting??!?!?!!?

BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Yeah, all by itself, I didn' do nuffin', da peepuhl wuz outta control, you know 'ow dey get sumtimez.

Yeah, out came this calf. We weren't doing anything BAD, we were just having fun, we didn't really forget about you, but it took so long we figured, uhhhhh, we figured, uhhhhhhh, . . .

he forgot all about US!!! Yeah, that's it, this God guy, whoever that is, we figured Moses got hit by a car, or whacked by a deer, something like that, and we got uhhhhhh, distracted.

And out came this calf.

Hey, it just happened to be in the early part of my reading, and every time around it's always good to have that kind of a laugh again.

Shame we have to relive 1941 again, especially since this time we lose, . . .

BIG.

Too bad we had that Cultural Pancake Flip of 1964-1969, our Baby With The Bathwater moment. Too bad, because that means it doesn't just suck to look at the rest of the world any more, it actually sucks to be an American.

Nowhere to run to, nowhere to hide.

Out came this calf. Ohhhhhhhhh, mannnnnnnnn.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts