Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I ever left my appreciation for them. But I'm carrying a Det Spec as a second gun for a while. The emotional tie with Sam Spade, Rockford, Johnny Dollar, Richard Diamond, is strong.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Didn't Joe Mannix carry one too?

And, of course, the original Maxwell Smart. :wink:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Snake45 said:

Sgt. Joe Friday, Chief Robert T. Ironside, Sgt. Ed Brown, Detective Eve Whitfield,Detective Adam Flint, Lt. Kojak, and so many others ....... 8)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Snake45 said:
Didn't he carry a PPK the first two seasons, and a 2" M&P after that? As I recall the bad guys got the PPKs he gave up.

Geoff
Who watched too much TV.

·
Registered
233 Posts
threefeathers said:
Not that I ever left my appreciation for them. But I'm carrying a Det Spec as a second gun for a while. The emotional tie with Sam Spade, Rockford, Johnny Dollar, Richard Diamond, is strong.
Great list but if your going old school you can't leave out Philip Marlowe

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Skeptic49 said:
Snake45 said:
Didn't he carry a PPK the first two seasons, and a 2" M&P after that? As I recall the bad guys got the PPKs he gave up.

Geoff
Who watched too much TV.
Mannix? I don't remember him carrying a PPK but then I don't remember him driving that Barris Kustom Toronado convertible, either, so I must have missed the entire first season. (I always think of him driving a Dodge Dart.) Net search of pics turned up a couple of him with PPK so looks like you're right.

As to his revolver, I turned up a couple poor pics--I honestly can't tell from these whether it's an old-model DS or a 2" Smith 10"

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/79722532/CBS

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/79721695/CBS

http://www.tvsinopse.kinghost.net/m/mannix.htm

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wooooie, guys who waisted as much of their youth watching T V as I did. 8)
I think I bought my first Charter Arms snubbie when one was used by one of the characters on 77 Sunset Strip.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Back then, EVERY TV cop or PI carried a Colt Detective Special, just like most every real detective or off-duty cop carried one.
So did the two partners on "San Francisco Beat", and the cops on "Bourbon Street Beat".
Lee Marvin in "M Squad" carried TWO.

Another was Peter Gunn.
One of my all time favorite scenes was when Pete was walking through the main lounge on "Mother's" off-shore gambling club when he's accosted by a large biker.
He starts giving Pete trouble and Pete just tells him, "Don't bother me, you don't know who I am".
The biker keeps it up and Pete keeps telling him that he doesn't know who he is.
Finally the biker says "Okay, so who ARE you".
Pete says "I'm the man who's going to put a .38 slug in your stomach".

The biker looks down at the Colt pressed into this belly and in a loud, very friendly voice says, "Excuse me sir, I didn't know who you were".

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I confess, I bought my S&W Model 38 because Matt Helm carried one for two generations.

Geoff
Who bought his .45 Colt, just for the free ammo, not for Mike Hammer...really I didn't!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I've used a number of snubbies over the years, and currently carry an S&W M49. Until my situation prohibited regular practice, I carried Kel-Tec pocket 9mms.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
If we're talking just Colt's here, Capt Barney Miller carried a Detective Special, te one with the larger grips and shrouded ejector rod. Most of his crew I think carried Smith's. Except for Fish. It was hard to tell with that old style shoulder holster he wore.

And long ago, wasn't there a show called "Tightrope" where the star, a cop or P.I., carried his snubbie in the small of his back, where nobody EVER looked for a gun? :lol:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
IrishCop said:
... And long ago, wasn't there a show called "Tightrope" where the star, a cop or P.I., carried his snubbie in the small of his back, where nobody EVER looked for a gun? :lol:
That goes back to the 1959-60 TV season, Mike Conners as "Nick." 8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts