Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
I envy Ed, but also understand the loss of Loki. Oh, how I do wish my Wife would welcome a dog into our home. I'd go to the city's pound and adopt and older dog as at my age a dog that might live 10-15 years wouldn't be practical for the dog. :(

·
Banned
538 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Nothing matches the unconditional love of your dog. Perhaps that's why dog backwards is God, both know unconditional love.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the kind words. Sorry it took me so long to respond but for the third time in the last month I ended up in the E.R. again. After five days in the hospital I swear Freya doubled in size. Her legs are getting long.

Sam, sorry you can't have a dog they can be great companions. I'm fortunate that my wife is a dog nut and says "a house without a dog is not a home."
Walt, Alfie looks like a Jack Russell/Chihuahua mix. So pretty much the boss of all things.

Everyone else, thanks again for the well wishes.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
SpecialEd,

Your new dog LOOKS like an African Wild Dog. = She may surprise you & turn out to be a GREAT huntress.

The BEST hunting dog that I've ever had was a "pound puppy" (that was to be "put down" if someone didn't adopt her by the next AM), who looked like "nothing much" as a pup but grew up to look like a typical a Black Mouthed Mountain Cur. = Sheila was a TOP all-around game/gun dog, who would trail anything from bunnies to deer & would even "flush" sitting birds.

She also turned out to be a good choice for trailing/baying the wounded deer for numerous friends.

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
It stings terribly when we lose one, but Loki had the best possible life because of you Ed. Freya is beautiful, and one lucky dog.

My daughter works at the Humane Society shelter in Boone, NC, and bonded (occupational hazard) with Dixie, a boxer-pit bull mix. As near as we can piece together, Dixie had been dumped by previous owners and spent at least two winters in the woods of the North Carolina mountains. She had at least one litter in the wild. Finally someone found her and took her to the shelter.

Despite our protests that a dog is the last thing a college kid needs, my daughter adopted her and Dixie has become a part of our family. After all she's been through she's about the sweetest thing you could ever meet.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doughboy, Freya is obviously, mostly German Shepherd but her snout is shorter and less pointy. She does however have a bit of houndawg bay in her bark. I would love to know what all she is but oh well.

Captain, since we have been married and our first-born was 18 months old, (now 24) we are on our sixth dog. Two of them were purebred Golden Retrievers but the other four were all rescues. Everyone of them a treasure.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ed, some labs are doing DNA on dogs. Cost most likely sky high compared to human DNA sampling.
I haven't checked prices but I'm sure they're high. But everything I've read and heard from the Vet is don't bother. They're not reliable. But it would be nice to know. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.