·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man defeated by paper target - **Adult language**

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
It requires the index finger to press a button on the side of the holster. If one uses the tip of the finger to press the button, the finger is pre-curled to slip right into the trigger guard, and pressing in with tension when the holster is unlocked. Shouldn't happen if one keeps the finger straight and uses the pad of the finger, but...
There is another, longer, video in which our protagonist covers a number of contributing factors to his mishap, as well as demonstrates the nature of his wounds.
N.B. the first thing he did when "his training took over."

Why I Shot Myself

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I give "Tex" credit for calling his unpleasantness an N.D. instead of an A.D. - but that's about it.

In general, I think that having to wiggle your trigger finger in the immediate vicinity of the trigger in order to start the draw stroke is probably an engraved invite to Murphy.

I think he mentioned why he had disengaged the safety so early in the process, but I disremember...

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
He had been practicing with a GLOCK™ in a 5.11 thumb drive holster earlier. The Thumb Drive retention device is deactivated by the placing the thumb about where the thumb safety is on a 1911, and pressing. Do that on a 1911 in a Serpa, and you get a Condition 0 gun.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I think he deserves an attaboy for honesty and it looked like his training kicked in when he carefully laid the gun on the ground.

He was right that it wasn't the holster or gun and the real error was switching from one format to another... and forgetting to tell the brain

I did a class with the Serpa and like it a lot but nothing would have gone wrong had he not taken the safety off.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Chilling. It reminded me of an occasion when I was at a range, alone, and practicing with my Combat Commander. It was loaded with my carry load, the CCI 200gr JHP, the "Flying Ashtray".
I was practicing a rapid draw from an IWB holster, when I suddenly realized that as I was sweeping the pistol up, I was bending my wrist and sweeping my abdomen with the muzzle!
I don't "fear" the 1911, but certainly respect it. This (besides going to pocket carry) is one reason I no longer carry one concealed. If I do, there will be much training before I take it "to the street".
----
Like Charlie, I applaud Tex for his willingness to share.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I'm really glad this guy didn't practice with gold dots...
My thought exactly; if he survived, he'd likely have lost the leg--unless someone had the presence of mind to throw on a tourniquet, he probably would have bled out rather quickly.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Only if it had deviated; given the path the bullet took, it probably stayed in subcutaneous fat the entire way. Not much there to bleed.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Only if it had deviated; given the path the bullet took, it probably stayed in subcutaneous fat the entire way. Not much there to bleed.
From the photo, it looked to me as if it had run nearly the length of the quadracep, but now that you mention it, there was likely distortion due to swelling.

Then again, he didn't fall to hardball!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
From the photo, it looked to me as if it had run nearly the length of the quadracep, but now that you mention it, there was likely distortion due to swelling.

Then again, he didn't fall to hardball!
Yeah, Pete, but it's like they say about a business..."it's location, location, location!" :lol:

I used a Serpa as a duty holster for about 4 years (for an issue Glock). I chose specifically for the locking feature, something I felt I needed in plainclothes. Using that index finger release actually put my trigger finger straight along the frame above the trigger, right where I wanted it. I will admit I never used it with a 1911, but like Charlie, as long as you don't deactivate the thumb safety...

Pete, I've seen the damage .45 hardball can do to a human torso at CQB distances. Bones are broken and smashed into the lungs, organs that are hit are pretty severely damaged. Like most bullets, if you put'em in the right place, they'll work. Our narcs had to shoot a guy with 9mm 148 grain Hydrashocks (our duty ammo at the time). He took 6 hits...5 peripheral hits and he kept advancing, the last in the head, which put him down immediately. Wasn't the bullets fault....;-)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Hardball .45 does have a very respectable record; I was just playing off the old trope, "They All Fall to Hardball!"
I saw a dashcam vid of where an officer shot (once) a drunken knife-wielder in the belly, with a .45 JHP. All the drunk did was pause and ask, "What'd you do that for?" then kept on fighting. The officer himself seemed rather shocked that the drunk didn't simply drop. As we all know, the officer should have kept shooting, if he truly felt himself threatened (drunk, knife, close-in; yes, he WAS threatened).
As you (IrishCop) note, it's the location that counts.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Hardball .45 does have a very respectable record; I was just playing off the old trope, "They All Fall to Hardball!"
I saw a dashcam vid of where an officer shot (once) a drunken knife-wielder in the belly, with a .45 JHP. All the drunk did was pause and ask, "What'd you do that for?" then kept on fighting. The officer himself seemed rather shocked that the drunk didn't simply drop. As we all know, the officer should have kept shooting, if he truly felt himself threatened (drunk, knife, close-in; yes, he WAS threatened).
As you (IrishCop) note, it's the location that counts.
I haven't seen that one, but I can sure imagine what it looks like. That's the result of years of being indoctrinated by TV and Movies that if you shoot someone once, with anything, the fight is over. I suppose it is sometimes reinforced by bad info from some "old hats" who claim to have been there and done that. That poor cop had used his magic "stop that" wand, and it didn't work! :shock: That's why, while I appreciate the work of Mr. Marshall and Dr. Fackler, I kinda cringe when the term "stopping power" is tossed out there. Yep, I keep hollow points in my 5" 1911, but I keep ball in my Officer's Model. I think the JHP's MIGHT give me an edge in a 5", but I'm pretty sure that ball would work just as well in that little shorty Colt.

Holler back at me next time you're up in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
"A 9mm MAY not expand, but a .45 will NEVER shrink!";)
People have often gone down, writhing and screaming, because of the same media conditioning; some even though they weren't hit!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I watched that video at normal speed and in slow motion quite a bit. If you're paying close attention, you can see the thumb area of the hand being very active after obtaining the grip on the weapon. Apparently, his thumb as "looking" for the retention device release and took the safety off before the draw stroke actually started.

You can then see the weapon start up out of the holster and watch the trigger finger enter the trigger guard , then there's a brief pause before the flame out of the bottom of the holster.

Since there's no footage of his draw stroke prior to the ND, we don't know what his draw stroke looked like previously. It would appear that the holster (I'm NOT a Serpa fan) didn't have as much to do with the incident as bad habits possibly did. Since he knew he was being recorded and somewhat muffed the start of the draw, I expect he also was pressuring himself for speed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts