Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to watching a Tales of the Gun I taped about S&W...

Their top gun blazed 6 rounds, reloaded, blazed 6 more in about 2.4 seconds IIRC! A revolver, three targets.

Anybody got any details on his equipment and loads? He done better since? Amazing!

I can't work the trigger on my empty GP100 that quick w no reload...

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
That was Jerry Miculek and the gun was a model 625. don't know what load he was shooting for that.

Last Sept. I saw him fire 6 shots from each of 10 different revolvers in 17 sec. and 5 shots in a tad over 0.5 sec. both were .38 Spec. with a 2.7 gr. Bullseye load.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
"Wow" might have been more politically correct, but I get your drift. :D

I might also add that he shot pretty decent groups while doing it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I saw a TV show, maybe American Shooter, that showed Jerry Miculek doing that for the record. He was trying to break Ed (maybe Joe) McGivern's record. (That might not even be the correct last name, but it's close)
It was awesome.
The only thing I remember about the revolver is that it was the 625 and tuned at S&W's Performance Center.

What the heck does "IIRC" stand for, anyway?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
"If I recall"

I've had the chance to handle some of his guns and the amount of work done to them is minimal. He says he wants the rebound (trigger return) spring to be full strength or it prevents him from going as fast as he does.

It was Ed McGivern and Jerry broke another of his records. McGivern fired 50 shots from 10 different guns in 20 sec.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
A handy site

David Berkowitz said:
What the heck does "IIRC" stand for, anyway?
Here's a handy site I use called Acronym Finder Although "Acronym" is a misnomer in this context since most of them are abbreviations and acronyms by definition form another word.

Ed

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
This past Saturday my Father in Law was over and he was all excited to show me this little plastic bag that contained a spent .38 special casing and a once solid steel disk a little larger than a quarter with a neat little .357" hole punched in it. He wanted to know if I "had any idea what they may be?" (he knew)

He said it was his fathers and he didn't know where exactly he saw the man that did it.

I kept saying was it a guy named Ed Mcgivern? Was it at a county fair in the midwest or someplace? etc., etc.

I think he was disappointed that I knew what it was and couldn't understand my interest in who it was that did it rather than the fact that it was done at all.

Ed

·
Registered
973 Posts
For these speed shooting records, does time start with a buzzer (which would include the shooter's reaction time), or is it the time from first to last shot?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Cool Ed.

He uses PACT timers but the time starts with the first shot.

When he was doing the 5 shot times he actually would start on an empty chamber to build up a little momentum before the live ammo.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, Meester Charlie, but didn't Jerry M. *try* to get McGivern's original timer from the NRA Museum and wasn't able to?

Having worked with Jerry in the Media Seminar program, it's always amazing to me that he can simply *perform on demand."

Michael B

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
That is correct and it really would have been cool if he could. As it was he used three PACT timers running independently and all three read the same. I'd say that was pretty credible.

While it is true that he can smoke any mere mortal any time it still took him a few tries to "wake up" his trigger finger. He had a really great interaction with the crowd and it made for a great story.

It should be in the next issue of American Handgunner

·
Registered
1 Posts
Folks:

The McGivern timer was actually loaned to Mr. Miculek for over a year by the NRA's National Firearms Museum. Why he elected not to utilize it in his speed trails is something only he can answer.

If you want confirmation of this - call the museum at (703) 267-1602.

sharps1859

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I seem to recall that Ed McGivern shot 5 rounds out of a S&W model 10 in 3/5 of a second! Not even one whole second! Alas, I don't have the book it is in, but it is a book on the history of the S&W Military and Police, and it's civillian counterparts.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
MikeO said:
That reload is just as amazing as the shooting, if not more so!
I'd like to see somebody try that with a Colt Python.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
skslover said:
I seem to recall that Ed McGivern shot 5 rounds out of a S&W model 10 in 3/5 of a second! Not even one whole second! Alas, I don't have the book it is in, but it is a book on the history of the S&W Military and Police, and it's civillian counterparts.
It's either in McGivern's "Fast and Fancy Revolver" or Keith's "Sixguns." I don't remember the distance (maybe 15 feet?), but they covered all five holes with a single playing card. 3/5ths of a second was the time.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
wuzzagrunt said:
I'd like to see somebody try that with a Colt Python.
During the '80s, there was a LEO from OK (if I remember correctly) who used a pair of Pythons in an attempt to beat one of McGivern's records.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts

I think you're thinking of Joe Walsh, who was from Noo Joisey… and they call California "the land of fruits and nuts!" He used S&W Models 686, then switched to Pythons when someone at Colt's sent him a brace of them.

I still have his die-cut card commemorating his original accomplishment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts