Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I’ve gone through various methods of carry. From the old days of slipping an autoloader in my waistband without a holster to various styles of holsters, both belt and shoulder.

Nowadays I rely on an inside the waistband holster for most times. When I know I’ll be in a vehicle all day, I use a shoulder rig.

What is your preferred method of carry?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I carried in the waistband when younger, too. Overthe years,I've collected (usually) four rigs for each gun - strongside IWB and OWB, a crossdraw, and a shoulder rig. The one holdover from "the early years" is a result of slipping a snub in front of my hip and pulling a shirt tail over it - the Alessi APX. I didn't really "design" it, but I did "thunk it up" :) The parts were all there on Lous' MOB. I thought it would be a great belly rig (even though PC Lou insists on using the term 'appendix forward'). The clip was moved to the front, and the rake reversed to a slight muzzle forward. Lou added his expertise with risers on each side to cover sights, hammers, etc. and the entire rig only adds two thicknesses of leather. It is as comfortable as the gun-only carry, but keeps the gun from seeking your sock-tops. When the weather says it is time to call out the J frame, this one becomes EDC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Usually strong side IWB (USP .45). Like Walosi though, I try to have a couple of different combos for the various carry guns. Today I decided to give the HK a break and carried a revolver in a pancake. Although I have just dumped a mouse gun in the front pocket on occasion if I'm just running out for a few minutes.

So, I guess I'll have to say - - whatever works at the moment. :roll:

Greg

·
Registered
259 Posts
Like others, have gone through different ways to carry. Presently using a leather IWB w/extra cant for a 4" 1911, or an unusual style kydex "paddle" holster when circumstances dictate I carry my Kahr K9.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all.
For almost a year to the day, I've been using an Action Direct under the shirt rig for my CZ100.40, totally concealing but a tad slow.(Not the belly band deal, the underarm one. [(http://www.action-direct.com])
I've been looking for an alternative method of carry now that warmer weather will soon be here. Total concealment is a must.
I keep checking the forum for ideas. It's not easy to find a place where you can try holsters on like you can a sportcoat.

CZgunner

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm interested in trying the Kramer Leather's "Confidant Shirt." Anyone try it?

I'd give a link to it, but Kramer's site is wierd.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also have the holster box for my carry guns, I have in waist band, strong side, cross draw, shoulder, and ankle or pocket holsters for each of them.
I have recently been using a Milt Sparks summer special for a detonics and a Null shoulder holster for its mate.
I carry all my hunting handguns in shoulder holsters.

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
Fernando, like you, for years I carried my 1911 or SAA Mexican style - just shoved in my waste band. The first holster I owned was a shoulder rig made for me by Hymie Liebmann, one of South Texas' saddle makers. It was for a M37 Airweight I bought in 1955. I didn't own a concealed holster until about 1996 then I bought a Sparks Summer Special II. Since then I've bought their Heritage holsters for most of my carry guns. All my open carry rigs I either made or came from El Paso Saddlery. I've got a 1920 Austin and River belt on order for one of my 1911s right now. But my holster for everyday carry is a pocket holster of my own for my Colt Pony PockeLite.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A la Mexicana!

I got my FL CCW some months ago and have been carrying my G36 mexican style with a Safe-T-Blok. The little gizmo behind the trigger doesn't add to my draw-shoot time.

I also have a really small kydex belt hoster I wear with my extra large untucked shirts.

I just ordered a ClipDraw for those days with my favorite cargo shorts w/o belt. Anybody has had any experience with the Clip gadget? Would like to hear comments.

Also, I would like to try some IWB's but don't want to end up with a collection of holsters that I'll never use again. Guess my main concern is the bulge and print. However, the Rosen Workman concept kinda' intrigues me. Does it work? Anyone... anyone...

Keep your powder dry!
8)
Nemo
(no one)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use a Wilderness Zip slide on right hip for G-27 and DeSantis Apache ankle rig for S&W 642 on left ankle(easier to access when driving)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I prefer a shoulder holster but I don't always wear a jacket. If I wear a jacket to church you can be sure my shoulder holster is under there.

Next is IWB...unless I need to tuck the shirt in then I have a tuckable IWB. (All holsters from High Noon Holsters).

·
Registered
356 Posts
Pocket holster.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Nemo said:
I would like to try some IWB's but don't want to end up with a collection of holsters that I'll never use again. Guess my main concern is the bulge and print. However, the Rosen Workman concept kinda' intrigues me. Does it work?
There really needs to be some re-thinking in this thread… in my never-quite-humble-enough opinion!

Play along with me for a moment…

Why do we carry a handgun? (Okay, most will get that one right.)

What value a secure, real concealed handgun if you can't access it and get into action in 1.5-2.0 seconds? (And before someone opts out with "Better to have that type of PDW than no PDW at all," here's your butt back, thanks for playing.)

I know Dave Workman (it's hilarious that when Galco first knocked off the Rosen Workman, they didn't realize that it was a proper name!) and it's an ingenious design, #1, and, #2, I haven't seen anyone who makes better quality leather than Rosen (and Gorden William Davis).

But the problem with rigs like the Workman (and PagePal and Thunderwear, etc.) is the time (and effort) required to get into action. It's a whole 'nother manual of arms, and invariably a two-handed one at that… never mind the related Thunderwear issue of the proximity of Mr. Muzzle and Mr. Johnson!
People can practice Practice PRACTICE (as they should with any system!) and get it down to smooth and fast… but you're still not going to present smoother and/or faster than a strong-side carry and for the purposes of this discussion I add the qualifier, IWB.

Secure shoulder holsters are relatively clumsy, and slower.

Ankle rigs are really best left to back-up or tertiary weapons because if you gotta deploy, that's a very awkward action… almost an "Excuse me a moment, I gotta get this out… be right with you!" kinda thing.

The local CLEO just got an S&W 340 on a 30-day T&E and wanted to get a couple of rounds of .357 Magnum yesterday to see how it handled. (I made him a liitle C*A*R*E package of five each Federal 125 JHP, Geco 158 SJHP and IMI 170 FMJ… I'm predicting I get 9-10 of those back virgo intacta, mebbe as many as 14 if he starts with the heaviest round.)

We discussed carry options, and I wound up lending him my J-frame ARG for my "Black Tie" carry blued Model 042 (uncatalogued). We tossed around the ankle option which he felt was uncomfortable as well as slow, and I related my favorite "war story" on the subject.

The time frame was circa 1989-90 and the venue was uptown NYC, perhaps even The Bronx. And off-duty MOS and his girlfriend entered an apartment elevator and were quickly joined by two mutts who put a gun in his face and punched the "roof button." He knew what was almost certain to happen when they discovered his shield and gun, and even though it was on his ankle and he was shot in the face and elsewhere, he got his J-frame out and was 5 X 5, serious enough that they required enough medical attention that they were quickly apprehended at the ER. I don't believe the female was injured, but the MOS died at the scene from his wounds.

Tragic! And I wonder at the size of the po' bastid's stones, or perhaps he immediately knew he was a dead man and was going to go out on his feet and try to take the two mutts with him… don't know the answer to that one. It was a nightmare situation, under the muzzle in an elevator like that!

But I also wonder the outcome had he been carrying SS/IWB, where he might have been able to better use his weak hand to block or deflect the mutt's gun while he made a much faster presentation from a more stable stance.

Substitute a "deep IWB" such as the Workman or a deep concealment such as the PagerPal or the Thunderwear, and you're at as much of a disadvantage as with an ankle rig.

So, the core issue for me… and, yeah!, I've tried them all over the decades… is:
  1. We "CCW" so we'll have the means to defend ourself if there's a hostile action necessitating deadly physical force.[/*:m:3tck3yv0]
  2. Having that weapon with us does no one any good if getting into action cannot be accomplished rapidly and efficiently… gross motor skills only, please.[/*:m:3tck3yv0]
If you rend the issue along those lines, your "carry options" should clarify, yes?

Unfortunately, what I see all too often is that many approach it along the lines of "I just want a gun with me," and never give a single thought beyond "O, and I need to be comfortable, too." They want the apparent means of self-defense, but they don't want to feel inconvenienced in any way, and they sure as hell don't wanna go to the bother of any formal training much less regular practice… m'Gawd!, sporatic plinking sessions are almost a luxury!

·
Super Moderator
7,055 Posts
Dean is right on point. I really would like to scream when you hear people discuss all these clever ways to carry guns that basically prevent you from using them without a week's prior notice.

If you don't think you'll need one fairly promptly why carry at all?

And let me add another vote for a good pocket holster. I'm not talking about some cloth bag, but a real leather or rigid material that will allow you to draw the gun and leave the holster in the pocket.

For many years I have used one of Kramer's for my 332 and it is very easy to learn how to get it right now.

The other point that Dean has made many times is that one should dress to accommodate a real gun rather than compromise on something tiny. Most folks get it backwards.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I would add that the draw from the pocket is probably a bit faster than the draw from a belt holster, if one cheats and starts with one's hand in the pocket. Starting with one's hand on the butt of the gun is difficult to do inconspicuously with a belt holster.

G

·
0 Posts
Starting with one's hand on the butt of the gun is difficult to do inconspicuously with a belt holster
Well Tim iall you have to do is walk around with a cane in your left hand and you can have your strong hand resting on the but of the gun (on a belt/IWB holster) behind your hip. All you have to do is walk around like this saying "OHHHHH my back, my back is killing me"

This works a lot better if you are an older person with gray hair.

So you see.... it Depends

:roll:

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I'd ask you if that's what Dean does, but I'm already giving him grief in another thread.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Schmit, are you suggesting that the graybeards among us would use that enhancement to unfair advantage? Anyway, my wife works with the elderly, and she calls them Grampers, not Depends...

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
it's all in lthe mount

I've been watching this thread with interest. I have been in a wheelchair for 22 years now. I get around fine, I drive, have great upper body strength and mobility, etc. I carry a backpack on my wheelchair all the time and some have suggested I carrry in there. BUT, as Charlie and Dean have pointed out, getting to it would be a two handed job and it would be akin to bending over and fishing through a purse that was behind you. Not very quick.

Schmitt's idea abut the cane and Walt's thundergrampers (maybe there's a patent there?) gave me an idea. Why not just mount the gun under the seat of my chair and tie a string around the trigger. Than I cold blow the knees out of any perp.... :lol:

I think I'll probably go with a belly band.

Ed

1 - 20 of 52 Posts