Gun Hub Forums banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Stainless S&W Mountain .44 - Hope I never have to use if for real, but with the weight savings on the Mountain gun its not too bad on the hip compared to a Ruger or regular 629.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Colt Python 4" Electroless nickel. Very durable to the weather. That's my beater.

BTW, it seems like a good 4" .357 is the most popular all around. Whether it be Colt, S&W or Ruger.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Another Ruger Vaquero, .45LC 5 1/2" barrell w/ handloads.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
For the Great Southeast, the most practical woods gun (camping) for me is a 3in .357. Before it was stolen, I carried an SP101 with the short barrel. Nowadays, my woods gun is my stainless Commander, until I get another revolver (SP101, 3in Speed-Six or S&S 13).

·
Registered
853 Posts
Smith & Wesson 386SC Mountain Lite 3 1/8" barrel in 357 mag. It is so light that you forget that it is there. The first 4 holes have snake shot and the rest get more serious. The adjustable sights are easy to see in very low light and it is very accurate.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
All depends, sometimes a model 64 3"rbhb feels good in the hand and will do what it needs to do in areas where biggest problems are likely to be menacing bipeds or smaller critters.

Sometimes my Commander if I feel more likely to run into nasty bipeds.

out west or up north, 4 5/8 .45 ruger bh.
loaded with hard cast lead and the most powder the books allow.

and almost always a model 34 kitgun or a P22 just because.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Back in yesteryear, I carried a S&W Model 34 Kit Gun. The .22 handled most everything I ran into.
With the hiking trails, and campgrounds so unsafe these days, I carry for defense, not fun. Model 19, or a Model 29 Mountain Gun is more likely to be on my belt than the old Model 34.

·
Registered
11 Posts
4" Tracker 41M in the desert, 8-3/8" Raging Bull 44M in bear country.
[IMG=left]http://img203.exs.cx/img203/3055/41remmag8ja.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG=left]http://img153.exs.cx/img153/2711/nobull5ew.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
15 Posts
For bear/cougar country, Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull with 3" barrel. Not a fan of the longer barreled handguns.
All around carry Ruger SP101 .357 with 2 3/4" barrel, or Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special with I believe a 2 1/2" barrel.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
OK, I think I've just found my "ULTIMATE" Outdoors Gun! (Can I get on with Harris?) :lol: I looked at a Taurus .44Spl snub this afternoon, and I like it. A BIG slug, a LOT of shot if needed, no mags to loose or break, compact and lightweight.

Back when they first came out, I considered them, but this one really caught my eye!

·
Registered
11 Posts
FYI
I can't say how Taurus revolvers are made today, but my two pictured above have been perfect from out of the box until now. The Tracker is about 8 years old and the Raging Bull is almost 6. Never had any problems. Just recently installed Wolff springs in each, really lightened up the double-action pull. Good Luck with your new Taurus!!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
(risking repetition)

I picked up the Taurus today. The more I handle it, the more I like it! Of course, my opinion may change when I shoot it. By reloading, though, I should be able to come up with a load to make both me and it happy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Taurus 44M

blue'd Taurus 44M, $380 in 1993. has Lifetime Guarantee
ported 4" bbl
shot thousands of rounds, some that were Garrett 310 grain heavy loads.
real handy and assuring, when a long gun isn't practical, esp. backpacking.

while I like it very much i may sell/trade it for a blue Ruger Redhawlk 5.5" bbl...the Garret Cartrides people recommend a Redhawk (or SuperRedhawk) for their 330 grain heavy 44 loads.

sure them 500s, 480s, 445s, 454s are all stronger and delivers more joy...but 310 or 300 grain Garrett hardcast flatnose lead rounds are strong enough for SHTF with a brown bear and the ammo's easy to find. I load 44Spl when introducing it to a new shooter at a range.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
My 445 is very pleasant to shoot, even though it's only 2" and non-orted. For a hiking/backpacking gun its light weight is an asset, though I would not want to go lighter with large-caliber rounds. I saw a .45LC Ultra-Light 2"bbl that just seemed too light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Trooper Mk III .357, 3 snake shot, 3 150gr HP, and a Ka-Bar. If I can't do what I need to with this combo, I'm in the WRONG WOODS!

-lars1367

41 - 60 of 83 Posts