Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably absolute favorite war movie: A Bridge Too Far

Major General Urquhartz: Hancock. I've got lunatics laughing at me from the woods. My original plan has been scuppered now that the jeeps haven't arrived. My communications are completely broken down. Do you really believe any of that can be helped by a cup of tea?

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: Remember what the general said; we're the cavalry. It would be bad form to arrive in advance of schedule. In the nick of time would do nicely.

(can't have a proper WWII movie without Edward Fox)
Lt. General Horrocks: This is a story you will tell your grandchildren; and mightily bored they'll be

Lt. General Horrocks: Kickoff will be at 14:35 hours tomorrow afternoon. The Irish Guards under the command of Col. Vandeleur will take the lead.
Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: [sotto voce] Christ, not us again.
Lt. General Horrocks: What'd you say to that, Joe?
Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: Delighted, sir, truly delighted.
Lt. General Horrocks: I've selected you to lead us, not only because of your extraordinary fighting ability, but also because, in the unlikely event the Germans ever get you, they will assume from your attire that they've captured a wretched peasant and immediately send you on your way.

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: Have you ever been liberated before?
Col. Robert Stout: I got divorced twice, does that count?
Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: That counts.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
I'll go with the obvious...

Patton: Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

Patton: Rommel... you magnificent bastard, *I read your book*!

Patton: Thirty years from now, when you're sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks you, "What did you do in the great World War II," you won't have to say, "Well... I shoveled shit in Louisiana."

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
The Great Escape

Virgil Hilts (Steve McQueen): "Why, I wouldn't do that for my own mother!"

Force Ten from Navarrone

The great Edward Fox again: "Oh, I can do you a lovely job on a dam. You've got the forces of nature working with you!"

Kelly's Heroes

Carroll O'Connor: "Attack! Attack! Attack! That's the kind of fightin' spirit I was talkin' about!"

Don Rickles: "A deal deal. Maybe he's a Republican."

Donald Sutherland: "Always with the negative waves, Moriarty!"

"Then we will fight in the shade."

"This is SPARTA!"

Red Dawn

"WOLVERINES!"

·
Registered
795 Posts
The Enemy Below
Von Stolberg: I should have died many times, Captain, but I continue to survive somehow. This time it was your fault.
Captain Murrell: I didn't know. Next time I won't throw you the rope.
Von Stolberg: I think you will.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like victory!

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like victory!
"We'll come in low out of the rising sun, and about a mile out, we'll put on the music."

"Charlie don't surf!"

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
This was in a book, not a movie, but memorable:

A pilot was getting married during the Korean War.
The local paper did this LOOONNNGGG write-up on the bride, what she was wearing, what her bride's maids were wearing, the minister, the flowers, her ring, her education, and on and on and ON.

The very last line in the article was:
"The groom is Captain Jones who is in the Air Force and shot down 7 MIG's last month".

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kelly's Heroes

Carroll O'Connor: "Attack! Attack! Attack! That's the kind of fightin' spirit I was talkin' about!"
Carol O'Connor stole the show in that one...hillarious.

Orderly with a tray of coffee: "What do you want me to do with this"
O'Connor tuning the radio: "Get the hell out of here, we got the game on"

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
From "The Bridge At Remagen."

Major Paul Kreuger: Whose?
Nazi Officer: Enemy planes, Major.
Major Paul Kreuger: But who is the enemy?

Kreuger is played by Robert Vaughan, and the character he portrayed in this movie remains my favorite role he ever played.

From "The Dirty Dozen"

John Cassaventes - "We made it! We made it!"

From "Gettysburg."

General George Pickett is asked where his division is:

"I have no division."

From "Masada."

"We have won a rock in the middle of a wasteland on the shore of a poisoned sea."

From "Patton"

"Tell him I'll drink to that - One son of a bitch to another." - George C. Scott to the Russian General's interpreter.

From "Das Boot:"

The Engineer has just said he has fixed the motors and brough all the boat's systems back online, after having a nervous breakdown earlier.

The Captain - "That is very good, Johann. That is very good."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts