Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Thank you, sir. My ammo cabinet is okay, thank goodness. I'll pass this along.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
My 'stash is fine as well. :thumbsup: I'd forgotten I had so much; I haven't shot .45ACP in quite awhile..... :oops:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
:? I'm a communist because I have a lot of .45ACP stashed away?
Actually much of my pistol shooting has been .22LR lately and rifle has been 5.56mm.
If it's any consolation I have more .45ACP than 9mm. on hand. And more 9mm. than .380ACP.
But the biggest handgun caliber stash is .22RF ....... which seems pretty normal; I bet a LOT of people have more .22 than anything else...... :ehsmile:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Does anyone wonder how they could run so many lots with "wrong" powder?

IIRC a lot is the total production of one machine for one shift. thats a bunch

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Charlie Petty said:

Never underestimate the power of human error. :wink:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
SpecialEd said:
Charlie Petty said:

Never underestimate the power of human error. :wink:
Roger that.

Does anybody know the current procedures at Federal? I mean, is there one person per machine who has overall responsibility? One who gets the shifts production orders and supervises set up for that run? Someone else who double checks the orders coming down and confirms the "recipe", checks the settings or whatever on the machines?

I've never done factory work, but my wife has, is currently employed by a major manufacturer here in the Tennessee Valley, and she tells me there is redundancy two or three deep where she works - one roll of product costs as much as a new Mercedes - and even with those safeguards in place, Sh#t Happens.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I once talked with a gentleman from Remington's ammunition division at a shotshow once about this( Only shotshow I ever went to). He said he's continually surprised it doesn't happen more often. With the Propellents they use, mixed in large amounts to a curve of performance there are alot of different powders that look identical. One could be a rifle propellent the other for handguns. They go to great pains to keep everything well-marked, seperated by building and tightly controlled. But, he said, all it takes is a new guy and a slip on the computer propellent-pulling operation and it can happen.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I've been in every ammo plant in this country and the way powder is handled is based, partly, on the loading machine used. Unless it has changed Federal loads .45 on rotary machines called Phelps loaders (think big, fast Dillon). There is usually a "run sheet" on the machine that dictates the load. Powder is in a hopper on the machine that probably holds a few pounds and is filled as needed from a storage container. The powders they use do not come in cans with pretty labels like we get. The primary container is a fiber tub that holds 40-50 lbs. and is marked with the maker. Commercial powders rarely have names and are identified by a number.

Several times during a shift samples are taken to QC where they are shot for pressure and velocity measurments so if something was wrong with the powder it should have been found pretty soon. My guess is that the error was at multiple machines and for several shifts. A lot typically is the total production from one machine for one shift but that can be a bunch of rounds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts