Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a Federal Ordnance M14SA rifle for sale in the "for sale forums".

Is this rifle worth $1400? Does anybody have any experience with Fed Ord M14 rifles?

your input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Back in the late 1980's I could have bought one from a friend of mine for $350.00. (I think he needed money) I looked down my nose at it as it "wasn't a Springfield". The rifle shot fine and operated without a hick-up, but the fit and finish weren't up to my three early SA, Incs. Looking back, I wish I had bought the rifle.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I never had a problem with mine. It was an early one ser#8xxx and all GI. A friend now has it and loves it as well. I talked to Ron Smith about it and he said with all GI parts it was fine. If it hadn't self destructed since 1990 why should I worry about it now, right? I wouldn't be afraid of the rifle, but the price seems very high. I gave $800 for mine. HTH. AIRBORNE!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Fulton Armory has a review of Fed Ord rifles that will scare the heck out of you
Nothing Fulton says scares me. They say the only good part on a Chinese rifle is the reciever. They also said one board members LRB receiver was so out of spec it couldn't be built on. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong! Smith Ent. built it into a beautiful rifle. The only thing wrong with this particular Fed Ord is the price. My $.02 AIRBORNE!

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Walt says the Chinese receivers are some of the best made.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
:wink: I have owned and shot a Fed.Ord. Rifle fore more than 15 years, Its on its 4th Barrel and has over 20000 Rounds thru it Its been to Camp Perry twice, Bring on your Fulton Rifle( I have one of those also)and We'll see what happens. :wink:

·
Registered
645 Posts
I bought a used Chinese Fed Ord last year. It won't win Camp Perry, but it works like it is supposed to, and one-gallon milk jugs at 400 yard are very much in danger. The only things I changed were the front sight and the rear sight windage and elevation drums.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That Federal Ordinance listed here, is listed on every gun sale ,and auction site known to man.
I saw it bought off of a auction site about two months ago for 700.00, and now its being listed for 1400.00?
Good way to make a buck! :wink:

·
Registered
757 Posts
I posted some of this information on Fed Ords long ago and needed asbestos underware afterwards, but it should answer your questions. Fed Ords have the lowest resale value of all M-14 types, for good reason, and $1400 is an insane price. $350 to 700 would be about right, depending on if it is an early or later version. Some of the guys who have very early examples seem very happy with them, but most of the later ones are dangerous due to bad (defective) receiver geometry and hardness issues. Fed Ord made a LOT of M14-type rifles (60,000?) and apparently the first ~8500 were made with GI parts, and some of these may be okay. Someone posted that the early ones are marked M14A and later rifles marked CM-14SA. Most commonly people are trying to unload the ones with bad receivers and Chinese parts to people who don't know the difference. (BTW, these are NOT Chinese receivers, which are excellent receivers, but other Chinese parts, some of which are okay and others -- like the bolts -- are not.) Anyway, Fed Ord went out of business (they were dishonest), so you have no recourse for any warranty work and the resale value is very low. These are clearly "buyer beware" rifles, and may be expensive to upgrade and/or hard to unload if you change your mind. I wouldn't touch one unless very, very cheap our under s/n 8500 or so. Either way, you would need competent armorer who knows just what to look for to check it out -- most will not know, and many won't touch Fed Ords at all. Ron Smith is one of the few who is willing work on FedOrds, and he has probably worked on more of them than anyone, so I would trust his advice, but few others.

The receiver geometry and hardness is a key issue, and there was enough variability in their receivers that a dimensional inspection and hardness test would be appropriate. Items checked would include the firing pin retraction helix on the safety bridge (which is sometimes out-of-spec) -- it should retract and capture the firing pin tail until the bolt lugs are at least partially engaged in the receiver. If not, it is possible for it to fire out of battery, which would be a Bad Thing. Other things to check would be that the bolt lugs fit the reciever, the op rod fits in op rod rail properly, op rod does not fall away from bolt roller, rear sight reciever serrations are good, and the rear sight is square on the reciever, receiver hardness is acceptable and not brittle, etc. You would also want checks on headspace, muzzle wear, and throat erosion, esp. on a used rifle. It helps to have the proper gauges to check dimensions, which not that many shops other than Smith or Fulton have around.

You should read the Fulton and Smith stuff for yourself. Ron Smith's Parts Comparison indicates how they compare to other receivers at: http://www.smithenterprise.com/gen_info ... comparison
Also see http://www.fulton-armory.com/FedOrdReceivers.htm for specific info and http://www.fulton-armory.com/M14Receivers.htm for general background. Yes, those guys do have a financial interest there, but they also build rifles of exceptional quality and know exactly what to look for, and they are good people, if a bit steep for their services.

-- cw

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would not buy a Federal Ordnance rifle sight unseen. The quality was so uneven that a visual inspection is a minimum, better yet is taking it out and shooting it before you buy. Better than that having a good M14 smith tell you what he thinks about the thing.

That being said I know of at least one gentleman who has been regularly shooting his Fed Ord M14 in Highpower matches. His rifle was built around a Fed Ord receiver and it works well.

A gunsmith I highly respect, because he build my M1a’s into match rifles, says he has “seen good Fed Ord receivers and bad Fed Ord receivers, like everyone else’s receivers”

I would not pay $1400 for a Fed Ord rifle, even if it was built into a reliable functioning rifle. You will never be able to sell it for that amount in the future.

·
Registered
182 Posts

That article states that the bolt is unusable, that the gas system has no life
and not compatible with USGI parts. That the op rod may or may not be any good, that most of the trigger group has to go and finally the barrel won't work after the bolt conversion. What part of the poly or norinco rifles
does he like other than the triiger housing and the receiver. I am having trouble seeing this.

BTW I just bought a polytech and it functions flawlessly. I live in the Houston area and use Tim aka Warbird for my builds now. He has quite
a different take on the scrap everything but the receiver approach.
Not to long ago most builders would not even say anything good about
the receivers either. For some strange reason I am seeing more Chinese parts built on Armscorp receivers

I don't know everything, and won't begin to either. Information is what we're talking about. Scott Duff is also coming out with a book on the Chinese M14 also. Maybe this will clear some of this up?

Warbird has a rebuttal post across the street about the article.

Also, I believe that Walt and company mean well and Walt is very helpful
to the new guys and vets and people that call them at work like me. So no harm meant. I would however like to see some sort consensus on this issue.

Just my .02 and not a penny more.

2BA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.