Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Discovery Channel series "Hogs Gone Wild" shines a light on the growing problem of the exploding population of feral hogs in the U.S. These animals are becoming more prevalent and more of a problem here in southcentral Oklahoma; they moved onto my family's 30 acre plot about 5 years or so ago, and while they haven't done any major damage yet the potential is there. They can be aggressive and they can "root out" more desirable species like deer as well as rooting the Hell out of the land and damaging or destroying farm crops and pastureland. They do provide a worthwhile hunting opportunity, and I would encourage anyone who is of a mind to to get out and take one or ten. Experts say that it's going to be next to impossible to keep the population in check, much less wipe the critters out. But we can try. How big a problem are feral hogs in your neck of the woods?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,157 Posts
a lot of the problem came when the EUROPEAN WILD BOAR was introduced as an "alternate " crop in our area- it's basically beef, pork, and chicken, with the odd mutton thrown in-the thinking was when the crop failed( miserably) the boars would just die off b/c of our COLD ( -40) winters- well, that didn't happen- they just grew thicker coats,and started ravaging the environment- so now it's open season as they will also breed with our wiltshires, so yes, it's a MAJOR problem- trouble is, we've also got a BUNCH of PETA types that are not so enlightened when it doesn't suit them- hence- no cull
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
to all;

how bad? ======> VERY
[email protected]#$%^& bad on our east TX family farm!

they are tearing our place up! - anyone want to come "carry a few off", as they BBQ GOOD?
(ours are a mix of feral & RUSSIANS & they are MEAN/BIG!)

yours,sw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think so-they're too adaptable and they breed too fast. I think what's gonna have to happen to even make a dent in the population is just extermination ~ shoot every hog you see, boar, sow or piglet. And even that won't wipe them out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,804 Posts
In southern Missouri on or near my father in laws ranch I have killed as many as twenty a day and not seen a decline. We have taken to shooting them and burning or burying them as no one wants the hassle of dressing them. 835 acre ranch with some 1100 acres of lowlands beside them and you can not get them all. His neighbors have two big ridgeback dogs which will chase the hogs out of the thickets so you can shoot them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My brother reports that the things are now moving onto his 80 acre spread near Muskogee.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,168 Posts
bestseller92v2.0 said:
I don't think so-they're too adaptable and they breed too fast. I think what's gonna have to happen to even make a dent in the population is just extermination ~ shoot every hog you see, boar, sow or piglet. And even that won't wipe them out.
Hogs are also quite intelligent, so the harder they're hunted, the craftier they will become--is it possible that they might start hunting us? Hey, you could use the PETA-ites as bait/lures!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
to ALL:

fwiw, i'm now living (for a while = until i can get "duckie" out of the rehab center here) in San Antonio AND as of yesterday i have "permanent permission" to take feral hogs on a ranch near BANDERA, TX.

if anyone here is interested in "participating", drop me a PM, as the rancher tells me that he has MANY & would sooner have NONE!

yours, sw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,117 Posts
Too bad logistics are dicey for transcon trips, especially on a freelancer's budget: my gal's a Canuck, and this would be an outstanding way to teach her about both The Joy Of Guns and where her bacon comes from.

stand watie said:
to ALL:

fwiw, i'm now living (for a while = until i can get "duckie" out of the rehab center here) in San Antonio AND as of yesterday i have "permanent permission" to take feral hogs on a ranch near BANDERA, TX.

if anyone here is interested in "participating", drop me a PM, as the rancher tells me that he has MANY & would sooner have NONE!

yours, sw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,157 Posts
Diamondback said:
Too bad logistics are dicey for transcon trips, especially on a freelancer's budget: my gal's a Canuck, and this would be an outstanding way to teach her about both The Joy Of Guns and where her bacon comes from.

stand watie said:
to ALL:

fwiw, i'm now living (for a while = until i can get "duckie" out of the rehab center here) in San Antonio AND as of yesterday i have "permanent permission" to take feral hogs on a ranch near BANDERA, TX.

if anyone here is interested in "participating", drop me a PM, as the rancher tells me that he has MANY & would sooner have NONE!

yours, sw
hey there's whole HERDS of them on the prairies, as they were introduced as an alternative meat crop a few years back and escaped- pigs begat other pigs, and they will eat bark -they're now considered as a pest up here as well- i suppose , if i were to put my mind to it, i could score a couple , but we have a meat wastage law up here , and i'm not sure i could eat a whole one- so she just has to learn to shoot if she doesn't already; other than that it's just a matter of BORDER REGULATIONS; probably if you meet the same criteria as for hunting anything else in canada, you're gtg as she's a citizen, and technically your "guide"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,168 Posts
T-Star, check around to see if there are any charitable organizations that accept donated game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,157 Posts
shep854 said:
T-Star, check around to see if there are any charitable organizations that accept donated game.
we tried that a couple of years back, and apparently the organizations that help the "homeless" won't take the meat because it's not "certified" , and it would cost more than what it's worth to get it certified- that's also why canada geese over populate the city parks etc- from what i understand it's b/c the "game" is not raised and slaughtered in a controlled environment; ie farm raised
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
t-star; all,

fwiw, Hunters for the Hungry is NOT that particuliar. = we hunters have donated MANY TONS of wild game/acceptable food to the group to be "distributed" to those people who need it!
(of course you'll never hear THAT from the "main-SLIME press"/ABC/CBS/NBC/MSNBC/etc. as it makes us "terrible, cruel, ******* people" look GOOD & COMPASSIONATE!)

yours, sw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,200 Posts
Italy seems to be experiencing a similar problem:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/08/w...potlight&rref=collection/spotlight/diversions

<http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/08/world/europe/italy-tuscany-chianti-wine.html?action=click&contentCollection=arts&module=NextInCollection&region=Footer&pgtype=article&version=spotlight&rref=collection%2Fspotlight%2Fdiversions>

Sounds like a fun idea for a "Road Trip" show. Someone send Trent Cole over to Italy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,500 Posts
Some in the FL panhandle, I've seen one large feral from the road. I have been told by a DNR officer that feral hogs have become ambush predators, but I haven't seen any confirmation.
Geoff
Who is not a hunter, too lazy.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top