Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm comfortable with my understanding of buying and bringing in firearms I buy, and when I sell I ship rifles and shotguns myself USPS. The question here revolves around shipping handguns out.

I understand that the FFL transfer takes place with the receiver - usually the buyer, so here are a couple of scenarios that fall outside these constraints involving transfers from and to another state.

1.a. I buy a handgun and when it comes in to my FFL and BEFORE I fill out the transfer paperwork I notice that there something wrong. I decide to exercise my "3-day inspection" and return the handgun. Leave aside whether my FFL dealer "deserves" money for his service so far, does he indeed have to enter this transaction into his books? He hasn't transferred ownership to me so it's a matter of returning the piece to its rightful owner, is my thinking.

1.b. I buy a handgun and when it comes in to my FFL and AFTER I fill out the transfer paperwork I notice that there something wrong. I now clearly own the handgun, but my FFL won't be transferring ownership - that will be done by the seller off in another state. So what paperwork does my FFL have to create and maintain for his service of shipping my handgun?

I understand in both circumstances I'm responsible for return shipping. Now, separately, I also have to consider what my FFL deserves for his service - receiving and re-shipping, but that's a separate issue, I think. At this point I just want to know what his paperwork requirements are. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
In either case the dealer must do it

If it is before you complete the deal he books it out as returned merchandise

if it is already your gun he must enter it in his books as in from you and out to the ff. receiving it

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Chalies right as usual. Once the gun reaches your dealer it has been transferred to him and must be entered in his books. And when it is shipped back he must enter the disposition in his bound book. In other words there has to be a paper trail where ever it goes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, thanks - "bound book" both circumstances.

Now all I have to do is decide whether I want to pay him the equivalent of the FFL transfer fee to ship it back, plus shipping. I'm going to be more careful what I buy from now on - shipping both ways and two FFL transfer fees means $100 to exercise my inspection rights...

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
'fraid so.

I don't know any way to avoid it and dealer fees are all over the place. It is perfectly reasonable to charge for the service but the work required really isn't extreme. Shop around to see what charges are like in your area. The biggest hassle for the dealer is sending or faxing their license to the seller.

Good customers might be able to get a break.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts