Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Captain Gyro,

THREE POINTS!!!

Fwiw, during WWII it is "rumored" that a USAAF pilot flew a pursuit plane under the deck.

yours, satx

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
A Blue Angel? Looks like their paint job.

And on another note...you fly boys are freakin' nuts! :D

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure it was authorized. It was taken during Fleet Week in San Francisco, and the Blue Angels seem to get a special dispensation every year. You can find videos online of them making passes over the bay where they seem to be flirting with the masts on the sailboats.

This is the lead solo, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's doing about Mach .95. My hat's off to the photographer (and his equipment) for being able to capture this so perfectly.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't be a bit surprised, but off the top of my head I can't remember any specific instances.

Flying under a bridge like this is a relative piece of cake. Think about it: if you can get a barely-maneuverable container ship or cruise liner under it, you could fly a 747 through there with no problem at all.

You'd have to watch out for those pesky jumpers, though.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Problem is, a ship only has to worry about ONE axis of clearance, steering between the piers seems easier than having to worry about that PLUS keeping belly above water and fin-tip below the deck and having room to spare on both.

I tell you this, Captain, you tried it on a 747 with me riding shotgun and you'd have a cockpit needing some major cleanup afterward... o_O

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Well, lets see..the CA firebombing fleet is grounded. The DC-10 Jumbo Bomber crew could claim it was the only way to hit the edge of the firebreak and recover with all safety constraints obeyed. There would be plenty of clearance and the radar altimeters HOPEFULLY have been tuned for improved accuracy. Masts of a large sailing yacht could seriously complicate the planning.

The Blue Angels over Cleveland, OH used to give plan form demonstrations to the people in the federal building ever other year flying for the Cleveland Air Show. Looking DOWN at an F-18 over Cleveland Stadium was an experience.
Geoff
Who notes a BaE 146 water bomber would have more clearance.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Story on that shot IIRC is, the BUFF crew needed to shoot a few Missed Approaches and Go Arounds as part of their mission profile for training, they called the carrier and asked to go for it, and were told they'd have to wave off after a certain point but the Navy was game if the AF was.

I'll see if I can find the writeup again...

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
>>>>>

Flying under a bridge like this is a relative piece of cake.
Interesting choice of words. Does anyone remember a Brittish mini-series from the late 80s called Piece Of Cake, about an RAF Spitfire squadron? One of the seminal storylines was a bet between two pilots about flying under a small country bridge. Lets just say the odds turned out to be 50/50.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
BTW, StratoPigs DO climb nose-down--the tandem gear means you can't rotate like a regular A/C, so they have to have a very high-incidence wing (remember the F-8 Crusader?) which means you have to go nose-down to get the wing to certain angles of attack.

Sorry, BUFF Geek... gimme a Boneyard G-model and a reasonable upgrade budget and I'll build that bird into something that would curl your hair. O.O

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
How low do you have to be to experience a flume strike ?

50'... ?
I can tell you how low you have to be to experience a whale strike...about 5'.

I was a swordfish spotter one summer, and the fish spotter code of honor dictated that you had to get the spray from a spouting whale on your windscreen.

As I returned home late one day, the Atlantic was as still as a bathtub; the fisherman called the surface condition "greasy slick". I knew there was usually a pod of pilot whales feeding in a certain spot late in the afternoon, so I headed their way. I let down to about five feet off the water, and sure enough, I could see their spouts silhouetted against the western sky.

"Today's the day," I thought, as I approached the thick part of the herd. I figured I was still about two hundred yards out when all of a sudden one of them breached right in front of me...I was looking at a whale eyeball through the prop. I was going fairly fast, so I cobbed the throttle full forward and honked back on the yoke, "trading kinetic for potential" as they say.

I'm sure he was as surprised as I was. I don't know how much I missed him by, but I spent the rest of the long flight back to Cape Cod wondering if anyone would have ever found me, and how they would have explained whale guts in the wreckage.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Yeah, I'll bet BOTH of you had some "extraneous biological cargo unload" there... LOL

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I can tell you how low you have to be to experience a whale strike...about 5'...
And I was just about to spin a yarn about a couple of Russkie welders, a pattern cutting laser and a lady's recreational appliance.

But it doesn't seem quite as fascinating now... :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts