Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to go to Camp Perry this year and will be picking up a camper cover for GMC 2500HD on the way in Ohio. I want to carry my gear in truck but I want it out of sight when I park and unfortunately my nice WeatherGuard jumbo tool box had to come out to allow the camper to fit on bed.

At a match a while back I saw a neat deal another shooter made which was a false deck in back of a GMC Suburban Van which I liked.

Was cruising by a dumpster a couple months back and found some very nicely made shipping crates that were used to ship art work and apparently a statue from across the big pond to a well healed collector here and after unpacking the nice containers complete with folding lift handles they were dumped in a huge dumpster.

Being a founding member of Dixie Dumpster Divers International ...........well they came home with me.

I disassembled one (held together with dry wall screws) and all I needed was a 1/2" piece of CDX plywood so 12.89 later I had the base and assembled my slide in false floor. Every false floor I have seen to date went all the way to front of of bed and if something gets up there you are out of luck so my false deck has a full 4X8 base but the deck is only 58" deep which is perfect for rifles, shooting coat, mat, spotting scopes, ammo etc. Only had to make one saw cut on one piece.

To the front of the false floor I placed spare tires for truck and trailer and they are even with the top of rear section with my shooting gear. I will have two spares for GMC and two for the Airstream. Mounted all the way to one side leaves me about 3" wide section 8 ft long for ???????? Cleaning rod??? haha.

I have two weather proof plastic contractor style boxes I can slide in on to to hold smaller stuff out of sight but still have easy access.

I can still add 2X6s to the indents on the bed walls to carry full sheets of plywood in the future so I won't have to pull it in and out all the time.

All I need now is some outdoor carpet and I might fab some removable U shaped fixtures to hold rifles in while I am cleaning them.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will see what I can do about pic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts