Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any web stores out there that specialize in old ammunition? I want to find some original 6.5mm Carcano to get a baseline for my own loads.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, but that's new production. I want to know what the original military load was like. All the newer stuff seems to be loaded with the assumption that Carcanos tend to blow up.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, yeah I hear ya. But I don't think its reputation is deserved. It was the Italian's front line rifle for over 50 years, the action was strong enough to handle the 8mm Mauser in WWII, and the reports of catastrophic failure are all second-hand.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Old Western Scrounger specializes in old/odd ammo but 6.5 Carcano is not really that old in the big ammo world. 43 Mauser is a different story though.

I got a set of 6.5 Carcano dies because guy down the street got a Vetterli in 6.5. I found him some brass and he never bought it so we didn't load any. So maybe someday if I get a chance at a good one (did they make any?) I might just pick one up.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Carcanos are like French guns, most of the damage is from storage and being dropped.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
As in never a shot fired in anger and only dropped once?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
"...from storage and being dropped..." As in stored under the floor boards and dropped when the Maquis Resistance fighter picked up an MP-40?
You're going to have a long and likely fruitless search for milsurp Carcano ammo. It hasn't been used since W.W. II.
The load was a 162 grain RN FMJ bullet at 2130fps for the carbine. 2295fps for the rifle.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's also a 0.268" diameter bullet instead of the usual 0.264". The only place I know of that has those bullets is Graf's.

Anyhow, it looks like about 35 grains of H4895 gives me the appropriate muzzle velocity out of my model 38.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Look around at the gun shows. I still see small amounts of it floating around here in Ohio.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts