Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving onto the campus of the local Veterans Admin Med Center (VAMC), big sign on the road at the entrance: "No Firearms Or Weapons On Campus" -- or words to that effect.

OK, besides having CCW in two states and some reciprocity in others -- I drive more than 100 miles one way to the VAMC. When I'm done with the VAMC, I spend a lot of time in the "public domain." It's not like I can leave my firearms someplace convenient while I'm on the VA campus. And, I'm pretty sure the way the law reads, I'm afforded RKBA in my vehicle no matter where it's parked (outside of military reservations, which the VA is NOT).

I'm not talking about loaded and in ready access of the driver. I'm talking about unloaded and secured in the trunk or similar.

I understand "No Weapons" (guns/knives) on your person, in the buildings or on the campus. But I think I'm entitled to have my lawfully possessed firearms secured in my private vehicle while I'm visiting the VA campus to take care of VA official business.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Is parking somewhere close by and taking public transport an option?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, parking in the area is a mess. Research medical school, two hospitals, dental school and heaps of other stuff. There's no parking generally, but especially not "off campus."

My thought is that state law and I think some federal statutes view the private auto as a "domicile." It's your living space regardless where it's parked. I've talked to Security on this and they're pretty low key. They need "probable cause" to search your vehicle, realize that you may be licensed to carry, and probably have other places to go in your travels besides the VA.

It's not like some sort of "crackdown" but more just to get the borderline whackos in cammies with the field assault knives to clean up their behavior. (And just for the record, I'm one of them.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: Firearms In Private Vehicles On Vets Admin Med Center Ca

Leave it in the trunk. What they don't know won't hurt them. Unless you're flashing it around or brandishing, how they gonna know? I went to the Marine Museum in Virginia, which had metal detectors at the entrance which were turned off/not in use. A security guard spotted my Benchmade clipped in my pocket and told me to leave it in my vehicle. I was wearing my Colt in an ankle holster and no one was the wiser. That got left in the trunk as well.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

I have to go to the VA monthly and just leave my guns in the car. So do my buddies.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts

J. D. Langendorf,

FIRST, i am NOT a lawyer NOR do i play one on TV, so you should check with an attorney who is knowledgeable on the latest federal guidelines.

otoh, i'm a longtime federal officer (now retired) & strongly believe that if you have a padlocked "gun-box" in the trunk of your car (as i do. = mine is made from a well-padded, to fit my Sig P6/holster, .30cal steel ammo box & through-bolted from the trunk floor to the car's frame.), that you are FINE.

yours, sw

1 - 9 of 9 Posts