Gunhub.com banner

What to get for 1st C&R Purchase

• Mosin M44 (not an A) (AIM)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turk Mauser (AIM)

• Guardia Civil Spanish Mauser - Cal. .308 Win (SAMCO)

• Bosnian M48 Mauser Rifle (Century)

• Persian Mauser

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Applied for my C&R on 6 Dec and been going around the WWW looking for a place to get a first purchase.

Leaning toward a Mauser of sorts.

This isn't just a weapons issue. Look closer at WHERE they are available.

·
Registered
729 Posts

I say get the Persian. Get em while they are still around.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I agree, get the Persian. The other choices are still available and you can still get them cheap. The Persian Mauser's are starting to become rare and the prices will only go up on them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
first purchase & a couple questions

Just bought my first one today. Persian Mauser. It was a near toss up between that and the m98 carbine but the rifle won out.

Other than the log of guns bought and sold using this license is there any other record keeping that is required? It has been strongly suggested that (1) one ought to also have a set of records of all guns bought and sold where the C&R license was not involved and that (2) any C&R gun, enough those not bought with the license, ought to be in the C&R book. Any truth to either of these two claims?

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
persian. cause they look so nice......

·
Registered
353 Posts
Stay away from the turk mauser. Yea, they are only 40 bucks, but they are not worth even that in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anxiety level just went up one level. :eek:

The check has cleared... :p

Will the ATF give me a Christmas present this year? :lol:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
throw a wrench in the works!!!

Went to the local pawn shop today.... :D
Was browsing the shelves and looking at some Yugo SKS ($200)

a couple of Swedes ($250)

an M1 someone was kind enough to strip the rear sight, install a flip up sight and then WELD a new piece of metal on top of the front sight ($588)

a polytech M14S for $650. (How do you tell if it is GI or chinese specs?)

But the cherry part of the trip. :eek:
As I was getting ready to leave, some guy walks in, yanks out an excellent M48A Yugo Mauser. Wants $180 for it. With the consignment mark-up, brings it to $210.

It gets better 8)
Start talking to the guy about it, bought it about 4 years ago for $180. Was actually a Mitchell Mauser that he bought and is going to go home and get ALL the accessories for it. http://www.mitchellsales.com/Details%20&%20Picts.htm

Other than about 20 rounds he fired threw it and having a gunsmith get the cosmo out of it, it has been sitting in the safe.

Tell me it doesn't pay to window shop.... :lol: :) :wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I was looking for an M1A, I checked out the Polytech stuff too. Initially it seemsed too good to be true and it was. If you want something to look at and fire infrequently, they are ok. The receivers need to be heat treated and remachined for a USGI bolt. Look at Smith Enterprise's web site for info. I think he gets around $600 for this. I think Tank's has some rework available on these too. When you add what you would spend to upgrade the gun to a more durable piece, you'll have as much in it as a new basic SA, plus it will still be a cheap Chinese knockoff with little resale value.

Invest the money wisely up front. Buy an American M1A.

How much of a hassle was it getting your C & R? I talked to an ATF agent yesterday and he suggested that I get one since they are not doing the "home office" FFL licences any more. If I heard him correctly, many of these may not be renewed unless you have a valid storefront. Too many problems and too hard to watch the log books.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Type 03 was absolutely no hassle.

Sent the App in on Dec 6th,
Cashed the check on Dec 12th
and got my FFL on Dec 31 with and expiration date of January 1st.

hows that for an easy date to remember.

Spent the night and part of this morning ringing in the new year putting envelopes together for dealers with copies of my FFL and a cover letter for catalogs and/or on-line accounts.

Am now looking at my order form for a Czech VZ-24 and a bandoleer of turk ammo for the strippers as we speak. :D

has anyone has any experience with J&G Sales out of Prescott AZ? :roll:

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
i've bought various things from J&G over the past few years. i have always received what i ordered in a timely fashion.

·
Registered
517 Posts
mojo52 said:
...How much of a hassle was it getting your C & R? I talked to an ATF agent yesterday and he suggested that I get one since they are not doing the "home office" FFL licences any more. If I heard him correctly, many of these may not be renewed unless you have a valid storefront. Too many problems and too hard to watch the log books.
I would be surprised if this is the case for a C&R license. A C&R license does not give you the option to buy and sell like a normal FFl dealer. It is specifically for collecting. Requiring you to have a storefront would be contrary to the license.
For a regular FFL, I believe new license applicants are already required to have a storefront.
To answer your first question, the C&R is very easy to get. Fill out the paperwork and write the check. If this link still works, this site tells you how to do it.
http://www.cruffler.com/becomingcruffler.html

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think you misunderstood what I wrote.

I talked to the ATF agent about C & R and he stated it would be ideal for collecting old guns and fairly easy to get. We discussed older cowboy action guns, etc and that the C & R would allow out of state purchases of listed guns without hassle (like an FFL).

When I asked about getting a regular FFL, he stated that none would be issued to people using their home as a gunshop. Too many hassles for them on inspection of records, etc. This type of license would be retired.

I need to read more on C & R regulations. The reason I hadn't done an FFL in the past because having one allows the ATF inspection (search) without a warrant. If someone at ATF wants to hassle you, they can do it without probable cause. Is this also the case with C & R?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I recently got my C&R license and I bought three of the Turkish Mausers for myself and my two sons. I paid the 10 bucks for the hand selected ones and it paid off big time. The bores on our Mausers are beauitful, the wood looks good with no cracks or major dents and there's no rust anywhere on any of the rifles. I saved more than enough on these three rifles to more than pay for my C&R license which is good for three years and only cost 30 bucks. If anybody has any of those junky old Polytech M-14's that they want to get rid of, I'll take them off your hands. I just built an M-14/S using a Polytech forged receiver and all U.S. GI parts. I did it myself including fitting the new TRW bolt to the receiver and at this point the only thing that's Chinese is the chrome lined barrel and the receiver, which is what I bought the gun for in the first place. This rifle will out shoot my preban M-1A and I have far less in it than I do my M-1A. If you want a real forged receiver instead of a casting, then a Chinese M-14 is the only game in town.

7th

1 - 20 of 39 Posts